Another Cyclist Down on the A82.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I was gobsmacked by a work colleague who started to sing 'another one bites the dust' as this came on the local news. :angry:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was gobsmacked by a work colleague who started to sing 'another one bites the dust' as this came on the local news. :angry:

Your work colleague should have been the one to be "gob-smacked"..............

I have to say though, the A82 is one of several dual carriageways which I would avoid cycling on. I know we SHOULD be able to cycle on them without coming to harm, but the plain fact is that putting your life on the line by depending on the concentration and ability of other people to be able to drive properly makes it just too risky IMHO.. Others on my no-go list include the A8 near Langbank, A9 for it's entire length, A90 likewise, A8 between the two M8 sections in Glasgow, A78 near Irvine, A92 in Fife, and several others which are basically motorways in all but classification. That's not to say that I feel entirely safe on other roads; they all carry differing degrees of risk. It's not good, but it's what we have to accept until these pillocks learn to drive properly.

RIP the victim, and condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited:

dim

with the introduction of video gadgets such as the the fly 6 and fly 12 and gopro, drivers (especially taxi drivers), are becoming a lot more nervous when they approach cyclists

as these become more popular amongst cyclists, car drivers will become more cautious with cyclists

a recent day trip to London, I was amazed at the number of cyclists who had gopros's attached to their helmets

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I still think some of the YouTube posters make a meal of certain situations, but I'm starting to think, a camera isn't such a bad idea after all.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I still think some of the YouTube posters make a meal of certain situations, but I'm starting to think, a camera isn't such a bad idea after all.
I'm beginning to think so too. I've no wish to watch any re-runs of my rides on YT, but as @dim says, the deterrent effect on drivers alone makes them worthwhile.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Both these incidents seem to be in approximately the same section of roadway. I drove both ways on this road today and the various slip roads could make it a very dodgy area.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Both these incidents seem to be in approximately the same section of roadway. I drove both ways on this road today and the various slip roads could make it a very dodgy area.
Still not exactly sure what happened on the most recent one, but with the first one the guy apparently hit some sort of obstacle or pot hole and fell into the carriageway from that woefully inadequate stretch of cycle track.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Sorry to hear that @GGJ. Not good at any time but especially traumatic to be getting assessed for surgery on Christmas Eve. I hope your mate makes a speedy recovery.

Top Bottom