Another front mech problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

discplayer

Hello. When moving off the largest chain ring the chain is (almost always) dropping straight to the smallest and not stopping at the middle one. All other gear changes/chain positions are fine. The lever's index display jumps straight from 3 to 1 too.

Any ideas?

I've tried some cable tension adjustments but only made the things that work fine become a problem! Would I have done them wrong or just not enough?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

walker

simplest test is are you pushing to hard or for too long between shifts?

OP
OP
D

discplayer

Thanks for your reply.

I don't feel so.

This problem started at the weekend. The chain was changed about 6 mths/1500 miles ago.

OP
OP
D

discplayer

Thanks for your help. I tried a couple of times, a bit rushed the first time so did it again, and had much the same result as before - I can upset the chain's running on the smallest or largest chain rings but not get it to stop in the middle when coming of the largest.

I'll try a LBS next week although they tell me they're overworked ahead of the Norwich 50 & 100 mile rides on 8 June.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
While my bike was travelling to Kenya, I saw several baggage handlers fiddling with the gear levers. When I got it back, something had gone wrong with the front derailleur lever so that I had exactly your problem.

It turned out that some fiddler had broken a tooth off a tiny plastic ratchety bit insde the lever. The only solution was a new lever, sadly.

Sorry to be preaching doom, but that may so for you too, especially if you leave your bike somewhere where people can fiddle with it. They will.

But don't take my word for it - try a couple of bike shop mechanics.

Top Bottom