Another Halfords Cycle 2 work scheme thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hongkonguk

Hi all, apologies for starting another thread, but I didn't want to intrude on someone else's. I have just received my voucher for the cycle to work scheme and am looking for the best way to spend my £400.

I like the idea of the Carrera Subway 8, with it's Nexus hub gear but am not 100% convinced if it is the one for me. I have always wanted a Specialized bike but realise I won't get a hub geared bike for that money, so was looking at maybe a Globe Vienna 3 or maybe a Crosstrail.

Would I have to order one of the other bikes through Halfords or are there any local shops that will accept the voucher? (I am in Notts BTW)

Or are there any other bikes within that price bracket that would be better than the bikes I have suggested. Happy to listen to any advice. Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

gekko

Hi there,

Check around your LBSs to see if any will take the vouchers directly. Do you have a Leisure Lakes near you? They will take them. I can't advise on other shops as I'm in London and only know which ones down here will take them. If all else fails, you can order the bike of your choice direct through the Halfords C2W line.

I got the Crosstrail a couple of weeks ago. It's a really good, solid bike. It has front suspension but you can switch this on and off. My local park has lots of very gravelly paths and the bike copes very well on these as well as on the tarmac. It will also be fine on towpaths and less rocky trails.

It really depends what you want the bike for. If you are always going to be on roads or tarmac paths then you may find the Crosstrail a bit clunky and I would look at the Sirrus, but when I went into the shop and described my intended use (a mix of road, gravel tracks and towpaths) the guy steered me away from the Globe and toward the Crosstrail. You should also throw Trek into the equation too - this is what my partner has and it seems a good bike.

OP
OP
H

hongkonguk

Thanks for the reply. I have called the local bike shops near me and it seems none of them will accept the vouchers so it seems I will have to order through Halfords. I must admit I hadn't considered a Trek, are there any models I should look out for? I am hoping to get the order in within the next two days so will have to get looking around!

The bike is mainly going to be used on tarmac, although the roads are quite rough near me! Maybe the Sirrus or the Globe will suit me better..

Top Bottom