Another hello from Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darksquid

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile, and thought it was about damn time I got myself registered and introduced myself.

I've just got back into cycling after a ten year hiatus. I got myself an Edinburgh Co-op Courier Classic on the bike to work scheme after riding my neighbour's one around for a couple of weeks, and I'm loving it. I have hardly been off it in the evenings and on weekends.

Ideally, I would also like to cycle to work, but as my commute is from Abbeyhill to the top of the Royal Mile, I am still building up my fitness to the point where I can tackle the uphill trek and not arrive in a sweaty horrible heap. The bike only has 8 gears, and I do wonder if this is enough for hilly Edinburgh (didn't think this through when I got it!!). So for now, I'm still walking to work, and practicing my hill climbing in Holyrood Park. It's really slow going just now, and even on the lowest gear I'm struggling a bit, but I'm reasonably fit to begin with. I'm sure I'll get there sooner or later!

I'm also getting readjusted to traffic - I don't have a car, so being out on the roads is a challenge, but one that I'm really enjoying. Thank you, John Franklin and Cyclecraft!

Anyways, I look forward to becoming part of this friendly online community!

kate :blush:

Hello darksquid!

Welcome to CC.

Glad that you're enjoying your cycling. Don't worry about your fitness, that'll develop as you cycle and you will get stronger and be able to undertake longer rides.

Get stuck in here; there's a lorra lorra laughs and advice to be gleaned from the wizened characters here! :blush::tongue:

MajorMantra

Welcome! A few more Edinburgh people and we can stage a coup...

8 gears may seem hard now but it'll be plenty after a few weeks of regular riding. There are a number of us Edinburgh folk who only have 1.:tongue:

One piece of advice: I found that when I started cycling I generally overestimated the amount of clothing I needed which contributes to the "sweaty mess" syndrome. With the weather as it is you don't want to be venturing out wearing more than shorts and a t-shirt and in the autumn you'll rarely want more than 2 layers (though this obviously varies from person to person).

Matthew

OP
OP
D

darksquid

Thanks for the welcome! I'm starting to feel stronger already, which is a great feeling. I had to stop running a couple of years ago because of my dodgy feet, and I've sure missed the endorphin rush that comes from a good work-out.

MajorMantra, I already do the under-dress thing for my walk to work in the morning - freezing when I leave the flat and burning up when I get there. A brisk hike up the Royal Mile is enough to get the blood pumping and the sweat flowing and I'm just worried what a cycle will do!

Single speed in Edinburgh - you have my awe and admiration!!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hallo and welcome.

If you'd like some coaching in dealing with traffic, just give us a shout...

OP
OP
D

darksquid

Hi guys,

I might very well join you for the ride on the 30th!

And I will most definitely shout if I need traffic help. I had my first aggro-SUV encounter on Sunday, so if nothing else, I might just have to come here to have a moan :tongue:

Top Bottom