Another HGV death in London (split from original thread)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yes, when the alternative routes are so poor, so meandering,
You're about 100 years too late to solve that particular problem!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
[QUOTE 2781094, member: 45"]Well that will be why he wrote "about the same" rather than using the figures then. Using your stats-

Amsterdam 1 death per 83333 trips
London 1 death per 42857 trips

That's 1.94x more deaths in London per journey. I'd say it's virtually twice. Where's the parity in that? If you're discounting whole-country statistics then your journey distance statistic is irrelevant.[/quote]
as srw sez. Journey length. And then (he says for the 1000th time) you have to look at the vehicles that cause the deaths. And then you reckon that if you could tame this relatively small number of vehicles the death per trip (let alone the death per mile) would be the same as Amsterdam's. Without spending nine hundred million quid on cycle ways that people won't use.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It would be useful to have a breakdown in the London stats: who is it that is involved in most KSI's?
The experienced cyclist putting in many miles or the pootler doing fewer lower speed miles.
ffs. See above.

srw

[QUOTE 2787087, member: 45"]
I gave you sufficient numbers for you to work it out yourself, but for ease it's 1.944443148143827 before the calculator runs out of digits. Does that make it more acceptable for you, now that it's even more deaths per journey.[/quote]
Nope.
(a) deaths per journey is irrelevant as a statistic.
(b) 1.9444 is not a good estimate of the ratio. "Somewhere between 2 and 0.5" is a better estimate.

And repeat posting of a link to the same set of out-of-date anecdotes* doesn't really tell anyone anything.

*It's not data. It's full of supposition and subjectivity. It could be turned into data with a lot of hard work.

srw

[QUOTE 2788682, member: 45"]It's not irrelevant. It just shouldn't be taken on face value. As is the case with all stats.[/quote]
I agree it shouldn't be taken on face value. Which is why I'm seriously questioning why anyone (including, apparently, you) is treating it as a serious indication of risk. Because Gilligan isn't.

Top Bottom