Another IPod question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Mrs BG was muttering about IPods the other day re whether she could transfer all her audio cassettes recorded fom the wireless over the last 30 years onto an IPod. Having known her for a good few years I suspect this is code for find out then buy me one... The big stumblin block would also seem to be that if she turned it off in the middle of a story, would it start op again where it left off. I think I can go from "out" on my aging cassette player to MIC in on the PC via a 3.5mm jack to jack and use a little prog like Audacity but there seem to be differing views about the turning off issue. Can anybody help please? If it does turn out to be possible,would I need a mega memory to upload about the contents of about 100 c90s? :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
there is a pause button on the ipod, and if you turn it off at that point, when you turn it on again it will be at the point you paused it.

in other words, if you turn it off after act 2, it will start again after act 2, not act 1 (radio play analogy).

hope that helps.

edit: get an ipod classic in either 80gb or 160gb, that will have more than enough space. make sure you have plenty of room on your hard drive, preferably at least as much free space as the ipod.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
there is a pause button on the ipod, and if you turn it off at that point, when you turn it on again it will be at the point you paused it.

in other words, if you turn it off after act 2, it will start again after act 2, not act 1 (radio play analogy).

hope that helps.

edit: get an ipod classic in either 80gb or 160gb, that will have more than enough space. make sure you have plenty of room on your hard drive, preferably at least as much free space as the ipod.
Excellent ta :biggrin: We're a bit Ludditey here ...never really got past vinyl, thought tapes were the spawn of the devil but you know how it is, once the distaff side is allowed to mix they get ideas beyond their station....

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It might take a while though. I had a girlfriend's dad ask almost an identical question a couple of years ago and when I explained the amount of time required he was a lot less keen. If it's voice rather than music you can get away with quite a lot of compression.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
marinyork said:
It might take a while though. I had a girlfriend's dad ask almost an identical question a couple of years ago and when I explained the amount of time required he was a lot less keen. If it's voice rather than music you can get away with quite a lot of compression.

Mmm that hadnt occured to me... that it'll save on Audacity in "real time"... 90minutes per tape x100 tapes.....= ages. BTW just researched further and wondered if Audacity saves in MP4 format or whether it'll need another prog to convert? Is the compression a simple process using Audacity>#?

Night Train

Maker of Things
If you are recording onto the pc first can you not then edit out the stops and starts before transfering to the Ipod? Another luddite who has never done any such thing before.

bonj2

don't get an ipod they're evil. They force you to sign your life away to apple, and you have to have everything apple and befor eyou know it you've got an 'apple' life.

Abitrary

I think that if you listen to music all day, you'll wear it out.

surfgurl

I have an ipod shuffle, which is one of the tiny ones, it's smaller than a pack of chewing gum. When I put it on it starts exactly where I turned it off, right in the middle of a song, so you shouldn't have any problems.
When you put the stuff on the computer you can break a radio play or whatever into different tracks, instead of it being one long track. This is useful for when you accidentally press the button for the next track and have to go back to the beginning of the one you were listening too.
There are lots of podcasts on the BBC site which you can set your computer to download automatically. We get the Radio 4 news quiz every week.

Clive Atton

Über Member
bonj said:
don't get an ipod they're evil. They force you to sign your life away to apple, and you have to have everything apple and befor eyou know it you've got an 'apple' life.

Are you serious? I use Microsoft Office on my Mac, you can use an iPod with a Windows PC, you can you plug any manufacturers peripherals into a Mac, you can I run Windows on a Mac, I can download music from any CD and virtually any website and load it on to my iPod. If you are being serious I've never read such paranoid bollox! Just because iPods and iTunes are a very effective and usable combination doesn't mean they are part of a Worldwide Apple conspiracy!!

Jaded

You can tag ipod files as 'Audiobooks' and these will return to the last place you played, regardless of whether you listened to something else.

It's a bit complicated though!

bonj2

Clive Atton said:
Are you serious? I use Microsoft Office on my Mac, you can use an iPod with a Windows PC, you can you plug any manufacturers peripherals into a Mac, you can I run Windows on a Mac, I can download music from any CD and virtually any website and load it on to my iPod. If you are being serious I've never read such paranoid bollox! Just because iPods and iTunes are a very effective and usable combination doesn't mean they are part of a Worldwide Apple conspiracy!!

yeah but if you download mp3s off itunes then they LOCK them so you can only use them on that computer or an ipod! They're not mp3s, they're apple's own encrypted format, designed to lock you into apple!

Jaded

bonj said:
yeah but if you download mp3s off itunes then they LOCK them so you can only use them on that computer or an ipod! They're not mp3s, they're apple's own encrypted format, designed to lock you into apple!

Uninformed codswallop.

Top Bottom