Another newbie Numpty question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threshold

Hi all, great site, really informative and friendly, I am new to the scene, too old for rugby now, but wanting to stay fit, am doing the 9 mile ( each way) commute on a bottom of the range Hawk 15 speed front suspension MTB, but am finding hills I thought would be a breeze not all that easy, just lots of spinning and not much forward velocity! My question to those who know better is would it benefit me to swap the 26 x 190 'knobblies' for smoother profile tyres, bearing in mind my route is mainly A roads that look for all the world like a post war Iraqui airfield surface! Any advice greatly appreciated Guys ( and Girls) :thumbsup:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hi Threshold!

Narrower, smoother, harder, all = faster (and can make a big difference) - but do make for a bumpier ride - more noticeable the bumpier the road, obviously! I ride 23mm slicks on a racer on far-from-great London roads, and wouldn't ride anything else. I'd certainly try - you can always go back.

Hello threshold - like swee'p I ride the debris strewn roads of London from West to North. I started on 23cs and moved up a little to 25cs. If all this talk of tyre sizes sounds confusing try looking at Sheldon Brown here. I often wonder how comfortable it would be just to crash over anything in my path instead of avoiding drain covers, road joints etc etc - but I suppose it is part of the fun of the commute...
Your speed will improve as you build up appropriate muscle strength - the front suspension will absorb a lot of your effort so weld them rigid!:thumbsup:. Soon, your bike will not be 'good enough' and you'll have to start a collection!:smile: I am 100+kg and also (long time ago) ex-rugby and it is surprising how much you can learn by dipping in around here...don't forget to visit the Café for a pie. xx(

Shaun

Founder
The advice from the previous posters is good, but the 23c / 25c width tyres relate to road bike wheels.

As you've got an MTB try some slick MTB tyres between 1.5" and 1" wide, something like this. (Look for ones with the kevlar/puncture resistant band.)

Doesn't sound much, but my average increased by about 2mph.

Sound advice to lock-out your front suspension too. :angry:

Oh, and welcome.

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

OP
OP
threshold

threshold

Many thanks for the advice guys, I'll be on my way to get slicks, and hopefully speed up a little! Aaahh, but how long before I'm bored and need to upgrade, sooner rather than later I think,
Cheers

Shaun

Founder
threshold said:
Many thanks for the advice guys, I'll be on my way to get slicks, and hopefully speed up a little! Aaahh, but how long before I'm bored and need to upgrade, sooner rather than later I think,
Cheers

When you get to the shop, whatever you do ... DON'T LOOK AT ROAD BIKES ... I repeat ... DON'T LOOK AT ROAD BIKES!!! xx(

Cheers,
Shaun

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Admin said:
When you get to the shop, whatever you do ... DON'T LOOK AT ROAD BIKES ... I repeat ... DON'T LOOK AT ROAD BIKES!!! :laugh:

Cheers,
Shaun

Go on Threshold, you know you want to, you really do;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
threshold said:
Cheers

I'll give it until Jan :wacko:

Hi by the way! :laugh:

OP
OP
threshold

threshold

Temtation

Unfortunately I've already cast my eye over a shedload of shiny bikes when fetching my tyres, and probably only a complete ignorance of what I was looking at chastened the Xmas urge! Knowledge can be a dangerously expensive thing I suspect!

Top Bottom