Another One Down - Longley Lane Wythenshawe, Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yet another one down, that's two in 5 commuting days ! :sad: - Very rare for me to see any accidents on my route - seen maybe one or two others in last 4 years.

Longley Lane, north bound near at the junction with the trading estate (not the one near the refuse site - the one further up near the tyre garage.

Looked like a pull out, driver possibly blinded by sun. Rider and mtb in middle of road. He was moving and I checked an ambulance had been called. A number of folk with him including another cyclist who had stopped. No need for me to stop as I didn't see the accident.

Speedy recovery.

potsy

Rambler
:ohmy:
My route, hope he's OK.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

:ohmy:
My route, hope he's OK.

Same here. It's also dan_bo's route. I go up Longley from Gatley, then cut through the estate near the Golf course entrance and re-appear in the middle of Northenden.

I was a bit short with the guy stood in the middle of the road - I cycled up, "Have you called an ambulance ?", reply "yes", me "OK then, another one knocked down FFS ! " :sad:

potsy

Rambler
Same here. It's also dan_bo's route. I go up Longley from Gatley, then cut through the estate near the Golf course entrance and re-appear in the middle of Northenden.
Do you go up Royal Green Road Foss? Come out opposite Tesco Metro?
I just been that way on route to Sale water park.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Do you go up Royal Green Road Foss? Come out opposite Tesco Metro?
I just been that way on route to Sale water park.

Aye,
Royal Green Rd to Tesco in the morning, then take Mill Lane just before the town centre and round the back to near Ford Lane and the Golf Courses on the way home.

Hi All,

I was actually looking for some advice on how to deal with insurers after a bike accident this morning and came across this thread. I was the cyclist who got hit this morning. Thank you for your concern - it feels like a bit of a lone pursuit being on a bike sometimes. I can report that I didn't break anything, mainly grazed knees + elbows, bent fingers, etc. Stiff as a board though and not at work. Helmet saved my face from some serious grazing!

The driver just did not stop at the give way line and hit me side on at my front wheel. Said he didn't see me. I think it was sun glare especially with the clock change (much lower at that time on the morning compared to the previous week). Police were on the scene in seconds and I got checked out by the ambulance that turned up a bit later. The company on the corner have cctv covering that junction so it was all filmed.

It has not put me off though.

Gavin

400bhp

Guru
Well, that's one way to increase Cycle Chat membership. :whistle:

Welcome, glad you are OK (even better it's on CCTV) and another South Mancunian. :thumbsup:

The bike is ok apart from a buckled front wheel. Front brakes are a bit out of shape but will probably go back once the wheel is removed. A few scratches here and there. Glad my frame is intact as its been with me since the late 90s.

potsy

Rambler
Good news that you're not seriously hurt Gavin, which junction was it?
My close things around there are always at the junction of Longley Lane/Sharston road, it's quite common for cars coming down Sharston rd to have a quick look and no more as they pull out onto L lane, almost been hit a few times because of it.

It was the junction of Sharston Road and Longley Lane. The driver was turning left on to Longley Lane towards Northenden. I have also almost recently been hit by a driver turning left in to Royle Green Road when heading along Longley Lane the other way. It is a bit of a rat run so you get that rat run mentality (ie driving quicker).

davefb

Guru
ffs.. glad you're "relatively" okay....
mate got hit by someone doing this, years ago... he ended up with broken leg which needed a titanium plate/bolts/bar... he's okay now and cycles far more than I do..
Nice of the guy to admit he didn't see you though... ho..ho.. I just love the way thats said like it's a reason instead of someone admitting they weren't driving correctly.

Top Bottom