Another Reason to wear a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah - so you've never had a rotational injury so everything's OK? :rolleyes:

Whatever. I shall continue to ride with a lid thanks. I would probably have suffered an additional frying pan to the head injury from my wife if I hadn't had one on my crash on Thursday.

You carry on not wearing one. I done have a go at any non-helmet wearers.

Onyer

I'm glad I was wearing my helmet yesterday. Riding along a country lane under some trees and an acorn dropped right on my head. A loud noise but no pain!

StuartG

slower but further
I came off in Buttsbury Ford on Saturday. As I'm typing this now - not wearing a helmet obviously saved my life. Didn't stop me getting wet though :sad:

StuartG

slower but further
I find the prospect of screwing a cam directly into my head a little disconcerting. So we are back to a real justification for helmet wearing - fixing a cam to capture my inelegant immersion, and as a possible bonus - an extra non-essential rotational injury. Whoopeee!

[
Sorry, I have yet to invent the helmetless helmetcam.

SOrted....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS74BktJGSQ2DCR6LJo3eRG3tQ5CyLVDZLSjHjelDjPI8avEbMF6Q.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
We've all seen the Foam Dome for beer swilling footy fans. Why not a similar arrangement on a cycle helmet to carry some tasty electrolyte beverage?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
There are many day-to-day activities with a similar or greater risk of head injury than cycling.
Why aren't people promoting helmets for those activities?

I have never had a satisfactory answer to this question.

green1

Über Member
We've all seen the Foam Dome for beer swilling footy fans. Why not a similar arrangement on a cycle helmet to carry some tasty electrolyte beverage?
Sod the electrolyte, they are designed for beer, shouldn't take them outside their design parameters.

noodle

In the US there is the wonderfully named Professor Hurt who is the lead for the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute.

They have major concerns over modern design where ventilation, straight surfaces and acute angles cause what are referred to as "snag points" which can arrest this natural motion and cause rotational forces. These along with teh effect on teh brain of the movement being arrested suddenly may exacerbate injury.

In some cases the helmet has been ejected from the head.

Of course the answer from the manufacturers is to tape the helmet to the head form when testing ... preventing ejection

They are suggesting a return to rounder, smoother safer helmets without these snag points

in the helmet pros i think it is ive posted about this happening albeit with a tree, ive often wondered if a hard basin would of bruhed that one aside. i will use a helmet more or less all the time but they can cause problems just like any other helmet
climbing i cant remember ever cracking my head on anything until i wore a helmet, when in work i dont bang my head until i have to put a bump cap or hard hat on
i spent all my youth riding without helmets suffered a few minor injuries, started riding more seriously bought a lid wear one most of the time
in all my meetings with the floor wearing a helmet ive never snagged it like that video
thinking about i came closest to doing that on my first trip with new hydraulics and the firt time id ever worn spd's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom