Another York ride, anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I want to get out cycling, but there are no rides happening for the next few weeks to give me an excuse.

The solution: organise one.

So, who fancies a ride out from York to Malton via Castle Howard, returning via Kirkham Abbey and Stamford Bridge?

I haven't worked out the details or mileage yet (around 50 I think), but if someone replies positively, I'll do that.

I'm thinking this weekend (Saturday 9th, or Sunday 10th May) or next (16th or 17th) or maybe 23rd (if I can wait that long). (Maybe a Saturday preferred this time so that those with other Sunday commitments can make it).

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I think i'll be free 16th & 17th :becool:
My parents may be over on or around 17th, so 16th probably better for me

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd be okay any weekend except the 30th/31st (not on your list anyway!) Not this weekend would give me more time to psyche myself up to it. (and bake, if that is required;))

Assuming I can make it without flaking out like last time. The group could always leave me to potter back if I was holding everyone up too much.

Although if we got back in time, Tea chez Arch would be a possibility again...

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I recconoitred it yesterday. Lots of places to eat, and really quite a nice route.

It's a bit more challenging than the run out to Byland. It's, shall we say, undulating, so quite a tough 48 miles. The hills do mean more views, though. Highlights include Castle Howard's monuments, cafe and avenue, the old-fashioned sweet shop and cafe in Malton, Low Hutton's swing bridge and water meadows, the fish and chips in Stamford Bridbe and a return run into York along Sustrans 66.

If you can't make it back from Malton, there are trains ten minutes past every hour back to York (a worthwhile trip in itself).

So, who's up for 16th May?

Danny

Legendary Member
I am a definite maybe, and at the moment I could do 16 or 17 May. Would marginally prefer the Sunday but either date is OK.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Route now posted here.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Would love to come, but I'm not going to have any free time until the 23rd May at the earliest. Other half is just finishing her dissertation, and I'm on weekend "keep everybody out of my way" duties until she's finished.

Bokonon

Über Member
Might be able to do 23rd, but I've just noticed in my diary that that is the bank holiday weekend (I thought it was the one after) so may have other things planned for me...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
I recconoitred it yesterday. Lots of places to eat, and really quite a nice route.

It's a bit more challenging than the run out to Byland. It's, shall we say, undulating, so quite a tough 48 miles. The hills do mean more views, though. Highlights include Castle Howard's monuments, cafe and avenue, the old-fashioned sweet shop and cafe in Malton, Low Hutton's swing bridge and water meadows, the fish and chips in Stamford Bridbe and a return run into York along Sustrans 66.

If you can't make it back from Malton, there are trains ten minutes past every hour back to York (a worthwhile trip in itself).

So, who's up for 16th May?

I think I am. For every up, there must be a down. I can always bail at Malton, and I know that from Stamford Bridge back to York is pretty flat. If I ended up too slow, I'd be more than happy to let folk go on without me. I did 38 yesterday and felt I had more in my legs, it was my bum that was complaining. Don't let me have half a tonne of cheese, pickled onions and coke, I reckon it was that did for me last time.

However, I reserve the right to chicken out between now and Saturday, if I suddenly don't feel so brave, if that's ok.

postman

Legendary Member
I fancy this.But not the bit between Meanwood-York-Meanwood. Before and after.

So i am going to see about the train situation,regards carrying the bike.
Wish me luck,or even better tell me what i can expect as a reply.

HelenD123

Guru
I might be interested but it depends whether I've got used to the Galaxy by the weekend. I need to get used to the drops and would rather not do it in front of a group!

Top Bottom