Anti cycling piece on the One Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Anyone else see this? Was mostly covered by Carol Thatcher and some taxi driver with a few scraping of the barrel clips of cyclists. Looks like we're not doing so well still if it's making Prime Time tv.

gavintc

Guru
Ignore them - it is envy

domtyler

Über Member
Why would anyone deliberately subject themselves to the mental torture of watching the One Show?

dondare

Über Member
About time someone filmed a few motorists speeding through red lights, using mobile phones whilst driving and endangering pedestrians attempting to cross the road.

Maz

Guru
So what were they saying about cyclists? Did Chiles stick up for us what with his recent cycling charity effort?

The One Show has always scraped the barrel for ideas for the programme. Last time I watched it, they were showing home-made video clips of various nappy-clad toddlers dancing to the show's theme tune. It was truly cringeworthy.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know they also showed some cyclists waiting at traffic lights... perhaps I'm biased and just see the bits I want to see.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm I've got a very good example of bad driver attitude as a pedestrian - try crossing a 4-6 lane junction with two fellas - one has a bad hip, the other a bad knee - not the fastest..... we were half cooked though... 5 out of 6 lanes over the junction, and the light's changed.... idiot in a BM wanted to go fast (at 10pm) - could hear the engine revving - so just stuck my hand out and said hold on...... him ranting out of the window...but we could hear his missus giving him hell..."they are only trying to cross the road"... waving and shouting as he drove 50 yards to the next set, as two of our group hobbled past...... 1 fella in car vs 4 blokes...hmm...

Arch

Married to Night Train
perhaps we need to play them (the one show etc) at their own game, and ask to produce a positive piece in respence. Or at least a "well, drivers are just as bad and more dangerous" piece...

Arch said:
perhaps we need to play them (the one show etc) at their own game, and ask to produce a positive piece in respence. Or at least a "well, drivers are just as bad and more dangerous" piece...

I think you had suggested in the past, getting them to do an article on cycling using helmet camera footage. Certainly a possibility, especially if we approached them as a group, i.e. a group of safety aware helmet camera users. Sure, it's not the best programme in the world (actualy I don't watch it) but it's a start.....

Cab

Just watched it (its about nine and a half minutes in). Pointless really. Lacks a little balance... I wonder though, would they be up for a cycle camera article?

Cab said:
Just watched it (its about nine and a half minutes in). Pointless really. Lacks a little balance... I wonder though, would they be up for a cycle camera article?

Just watched it myself. I really don't like the attitude of the CTC at the moment. Cyclists don't run red lights for their own safety. :biggrin:

Anyway, I think an article that informs people why cyclists shouldn't cycle in the gutter etc would be good, but probably in itself a bit dry and not of interest to the one show. If we could tie that into helmet cameras it might make it a bit more palatable. Hmmm....

PBancroft

I would be tempted to write in as well. They might be interested - especially if anyone were to put themselves forward as a willing volunteer to be a part of a rebuttal feature.

Kaipaith said:
I would be tempted to write in as well. They might be interested - especially if anyone were to put themselves forward as a willing volunteer to be a part of a rebuttal feature.

Is that you volunteering!? :biggrin:

Would it not have a little more impact if it had a few cyclists involved from different parts of the country, all singing from the same hymn sheet?

Top Bottom