Any advice on fairings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm not familiar with the RANS but everyone I know, or have spoken to, who has a fairing for their 'bent likes it. I use a Streamer on my QNT and Kettwiesel, I know a Gold Rush rider who loves his fairing, sorry but I don't know the name of the fairing. Ben on this forum uses a Streamer on his Trice.

Expect a fair amount of weather protection and a slight increase in speed. The faster you are the greater the speed increase.

derall

Guru
I have Streamer on a SMGT. Great on the downhills. Unfaired, the front end often gets a little light when at speed. Add the Streamer and you have an aerofoil which seems to keep the front end down and improve grip. Certainly the steering doesn't seem to jump around quite as much. Weather protection is good. I also have the Speedbag rear fairing which I think gives more of a speed increase than the Streamer
SMGT_faired_01.jpg

LeeW

Any idea what kind of fairing you want? I have built a fairing for my fujin from coroplast, which increased my avg speed for one hour from about 27mph to over 35mph. It can be a bit sensitive to wind and I would not want to use it on the road (I did try once). See a vid in action here.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyQSbefjsN0

It is possible to ride it with just the rear fairing in place, I have ridden to work with it a few times, it does add a little to my speed but the increase is nowhere close to the speed I get with the full fairing. The rear fairing doubles as a luggage box.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Lee, I'm thinking of getting a Fujin next year and need storage for my commute. Could you tell me some more about your rear fairing?

I think the Novosport Fujin box looks incredibly unstylish, btw.

LeeW

Some more pictures of the tb here:

Unlike my previous boxes, this tailbox had no integral frame. It sits ontop of a standard pannier rack and is fixed to the rack with two nuts and two aluminium bars. This does limit it's load capacity to day trip/commuting loads only, it is not really made for touring or large shopping loads. It is designed to be used with a front fairing thus is not optimal by itself. The part behind the head is larger than it would be on a dedicated standalone box.

The Ran Stratus is a problem with fairing such as the Streamer as it has no "leading boom" to mount to requiring the fairing to be mounted to handlebars and forks. It also needs to turn with the steering...

I use Windwrap, namely the XT and recently the GX on my Catrike - well thought out, well designed and they do a Rans version....

Strat_XP_Werx_on_Werx36.jpg

6vxsidevsq.jpg

CatrikeUK (of this Parish) imported both of mine - give him a "pm"....

Another alternative is Zzipper, although I have had bad experiemces with their fairings (stress cracks) and i do not know of a UK dealer.

image018.jpg

OP
OP
T

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Thanks, Cunobelin! That first photo that you posted is my bike. That's the Rans Stratus XP. The XP is the dual 26" wheel version of the Stratus. I'm in the USA, so I may check out that Windwrap.

Another question: Will a headlamp shine through the fairing without reflecting the light back into your face?

What do you folks think of fairings? Any disadvantages?

Thanks, again,
Joe

LeeW

I tried shining a light though a windwrap fairing but I found the amount of reflected light was too much so I mounted the light on top of the fairing instead. I was using a high-power HID light, maybe less of a problem with a lesser powered light.

The quickest answer to lights on th Windwrap is a "bar end"

These allow a mount that extends beyond the fairing that allos most lights to be fitted

This is the mounting on my GX

PB120172cut.jpg

OP
OP
T

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Well, I installed a Windwrap on the Rans, and took a rather windy ride on Sunday. It was GREAT! However, I was riding with several mates who were on upright bikes, and I did a LOT of coasting, while waiting for them to catch up!

Temperature at the start was slightly above freezing. They were wearing coats and balaclavas. I had on a long underwear shirt and longsleeved shirt, stocking cap, gloves and blue jeans. I had a coat with me, but never needed to put it on.

This was my first time riding with a fairing, and I am very pleased with the results! Thanks for all the responses!

Joe

OP
OP
T

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Cunobelin,

No, I don't have any pics, but YOU do! ;-) In your first reply to my original note, you posted that pic of a Windwrap on my bike. It's that first photo. I have mudguards, which the bike in that picture doesn't have, and the Windwrap is slightly different, in that, for some reason, that "V" where it comes down over the wheel, comes much closer to the wheel on mine. I don't know if they have it mounted differently, or if the Windwrap is shaped a little differently, but it seems to fit perfectly.

Top Bottom