Any bent-specific answers to my GPS question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kaptainkreman

Hi

As I already have a Tomtom Rider 2 for my motorbike, I just use this on my bikes. It can calculate routes for bicycles (not sure of the software criteria used)

Seems to be completely waterproof. I try to conserve battery life by using most efficient setting for following a calculated route. This only displays map when you approach a junction but as it assumes you are travelling fast (which I am not usually) it turns on about 2 miles before which can take quite a while to cover esp if I am bimbleing (sp?).

Chris

I have never had any problems with any of the Garmin units I have sold, the problem ones seem to be unofficial imports with different software that object to the addition of UK maps.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've been offered a second hand (but functioning) Garmin 205 for £60. I'm tempted because at that price it's hardly a major investment, but that one doesn't have maps, just shows where to turn if you pre-load a route. It also means that you can't just click "take me home". On the other hand I usually have maps when I'm travelling which make useful backup. What does the panel think? Is £60 for the 205 a good deal? Once I've bought the thing, if I do, I'll have to work out a way of fixing it to the Trike, but that's another issue...

byegad

Legendary Member
My legend will log a track so I can wander at will and by using the back tracking facility return by my route to the start.

Not always a direct route back but at least you get home!

Also if the track is being logged it shows as a line on the screen so you can return down your outgoing track from anywhere along the line.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Hi Cullin, thanks for that, it's helpful.

I probably wouldn't mount it on the mirror mount (if I buy one) as I tend to find they can be a bit brittle, although I've just received a new one from Catrike and it looks as though they have strengthened the arm holding the mirror, so maybe it might work.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I wonder if having the GPS at the front of the boom (where the lights are mounted) means that I will need binoculars to read the display. I do currently have my cycle computer on the mounting for the mudguards and that works well but I don't have any extra space in that area for a GPS as well!

You could use a Terracycle mount off the back of the boom, that would push it towards you a bit and not occupy your light space.
am_GooseCatrikeVolae2.gif

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Thanks Catrike, that's helpful food for thought and would fit on my trike despite the other oddments I have on the boom attachment!

Yesterday I bought a map holder for my husband's upright bike for when we're doing cycle training. The advert for it had the map thingie holding one of the Bikeline German Cycle route books... and I'm going to be doing the Rhine/Moselle in May/June and have the relevant bikeline books. I'm now beginning to wonder if there's any way I can fit that map thingie to my trike but I can't see how it's possible. Still, once it arrives and we have a good look at it we may be able to invent something!

byegad

Legendary Member
A Minora Space bar will clamp to the derailleur post at the front, mount it facing you rather than sticking out in front for a GPS unit. I mount mine there on my QNT, as I'm a varifocal glases wearer I can see the screen and can still lean forward to reach the buttons when I need to alter something. You may find you cannot see it clearly in which case the mirror mount is a possibility, Garmin units are pretty robust and should survive albeit with a few scratches if the mount failed over time.
For carrying maps/guides a hiking map case, on a neck/shoulder strap works for me on both the QNT and Kettwiesel. You sling it over one shoulder and around your neck and it tucks under your arm where you soon forget it's there until you need it. One the Kett' with two rear wheels it is a bit near the wheel but the mudgaurd mount keeps it off the tyre although it does get a bit of spray on it on damp or wet roads. As the case it flexible and waterproof this is not a problem.

byegad said:
A Minora Space bar will clamp to the derailleur post at the front, mount it facing you rather than sticking out in front for a GPS unit. I mount mine there on my QNT, as I'm a varifocal glases wearer I can see the screen and can still lean forward to reach the buttons when I need to alter something. You may find you cannot see it clearly in which case the mirror mount is a possibility, Garmin units are pretty robust and should survive albeit with a few scratches if the mount failed over time.
For carrying maps/guides a hiking map case, on a neck/shoulder strap works for me on both the QNT and Kettwiesel. You sling it over one shoulder and around your neck and it tucks under your arm where you soon forget it's there until you need it. One the Kett' with two rear wheels it is a bit near the wheel but the mudgaurd mount keeps it off the tyre although it does get a bit of spray on it on damp or wet roads. As the case it flexible and waterproof this is not a problem.

I saw a trike in Germany once with a spring thing on the seat back that dangled a map over he rider, he just reached up and grabbed it when he needed a look, I wish I had taken a photo.

Top Bottom