Any Boaties in here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Ahoy Me Hearties!

It has started to come to light that a few of us have lived on and or love boats and share stories like 'the time I dropped the windlass in the lock, how we laughed when we eventually found the sea magnet!' and such.

Time to sort the swarthy crew from the Landlubbers me thinks?

Please feel free to regale here with stories from peddalos to tall ships.

T x
:biggrin:

Milo

Guru
It does seem that more often than not boaters are always bikers to some extent puzzled me a bit that has.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
It's easier to carry a bike on your roof than a car?
Also, no matter where you moor up you are almost within safe cycling distance from a shop or pub along the tow path.

Also if you are in a city marina, parking is often fairly limited, depending if you are live aboard or not.

I also think that bicycles and narrowboats compliment each other in pace of lifestyle.

tdr1nka said:
It's easier to carry a bike on your roof than a car?

Unlessshh yooor a Dutssshh Barsh captain.

I saw one drive up, leap out his car onto the boat, operate his crane and in the blink of an eye on went the car, he leapt off, flicked off his two hawsers and was off in a flurry of foamy water.

My sister is currently finishing building their canal boat to live on just now. Nearly done, just fitting the prop. They just bought a shell and fitted it out themselves.

Maz

Guru
Genuine questions...if you live on a boat, do you still have to pay council tax? Are there mooring charges? How does postie know your address?

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Yes to Council tax, paid on the mooring, oh yes there are mooring fees(varying from peppercorn rents to the downright extortionate), as well as licences, COC certificate(boat MOT) etc.
And if you are living at a boat yard or on a residential mooring
the postie will know where to find you.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I'm 3* Canadian Canoe and 1* Kayak. Does that count?
Spent most of my time on white water though, not on rivers.

I started off on a 30' narrowboat, which was much too small. I upgraded to a 52 footer with a Lister twin cylinder engine in its own central engine room - ideal for keeping lots of bikes in, although the rear mudguard on my Galaxy is bent to this day where it rested against the exhaust pipe for a bit too long! I sold the boat when I moved in with my girlfriend at the time. I keep trying to persuade the current Ms RT that she'd like to try living afloat, but I don't think it's working.:biggrin:

Maz

Guru
tdr1nka said:
For the record any boat counts here from canoes, kyaks even the Woolwich Ferry if you like!
Oh go on then. :biggrin:
Many years ago I went for a solo kayak ride down the Rappahannock River in Virginia. A beautiful scenic river that flows into Chesapeake Bay. Unfortunately, I didn't realise that it was affected by tides and when I made my way back to the jetty I started from, I had to wade the last 50 yards through mud!

Top Bottom