Any Cube Owners on here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Shopping about for new bike through Cyclescheme, came across Cube Aerial (sora) or Cube Peleton (tiagra) both lovely looking bikes, not knowing much about them, wondered if any owners could fill me in a little, also looked at Bianchi but too many people saying bad things about their frames, i was wanting something different so i've tended to avoid the usual suspects, Trek, Spesh, Giant etc.

bad boy

Über Member
I'm not a cube owner but like you also looked at a few of their bikes which I think were the Attempt and Streamer. They look great I think all their bikes and the component spec looks good also for the dosh but when I rang around a few stockists and pretty much ask what you have done, they told me for the money there are better framed bikes out there. I am no expert so am unable to elaborate on exactly why people say this but apparently the frames are not as good as the equivalent Spez or Trek.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I have a Rubik's one... is that not what you were after? :wacko:

They do look nice bikes, although I've yet to actually see one in the flesh. Looks decent spec for the money though, and they are apparently very well engineered.

Cubist

Still wavin'
No experience of the road bikes, but own a hardtail Cube Ltd, son has an Attention, and bought a fleet of Acids for work. They are very well made and specc'd for the money. The road bikes I have drooled over in the LBS look the absolute bollox, and comparing with say Genesis or Merida, Spesh or Giant they are right there in terms of VFM.

e-rider

crappy member
So Cube are a German brand right?

They look pretty good these days. I borrowed an older Cube MTB last year and hated it (it was about 5 years old); but they've changed the geometry in the last couple of years quite a lot.

If they are made in Europe (Germany) the quality of the frame is likely to be much better than those made in the far east (Cambodia, Thailand, China etc.), perhaps with the exception of some Taiwanese Alu frames (of course Japanese frames are amazing but not common and cost a fortune).

Where are Cube frames made; anyone know?

fisha

Guru
Spec wise, I think its like any other bike out there at the moment ... certain price points = certain componentry levels ... and cube mainly fall into them along with any other brand.

Frame wise, I'm not sure, Its hard to tell from just looking at them. My brothers Peleton (2009) is sitting in my garage at the moment, beside my trek 1400 (2007). The tubing all round edges on the large size with the rear stays being fairly wide and sculpted so I reckon its going to be pretty stiff and leaning towards a tight, stiff and possibly harsh(ish) ride in the long run. That being said, a step up in tyre size would compensate any harshness considerably.

Build wise, I cant really fault the Peleton from looking at it. The welds are neat enough, but its not going to win prizes. There is the odd little dimple bubble mark in the welding, and its not been brazed / smooth welded which you start to find on higher specced frames ... but lets be honest, if its welded together tight, does a smooth weld make you ride better? no.

What the dealers may be talking about regarding better frames down to things like the tubing used. The Aerial / Peleton use double butted tubing, and the higher end frames use triple butted tubing. Its all to do with how they form the tubes to be thicker walls at the joint ends and thinner in the middle sections ... improves weight / strength / stiffness etc. But I dont think that at the price point of something like the Peleton, you're going to be getting significantly better frames. In fact, reading up on Trek's 1.5 frame, which has Alpha White tubing, says that its likely to be plain guage simple tubing, where are the Cube Aerial ( similar price point ) states it has double butted tubing. On first glance, the Cube would appear to read as though its got the better tubing.

At these price points, the differences in frames are going to be outweighed by wheels and gears and other kit I think.

Personally, my thoughts are that first and foremost get a bike which fits you and then get one you like the look of too. There is no point getting the bike which a dealer says to you " this is better, just because " when each time you ride it you're thinking " but I really liked the look of the ????, I wish I had got that ". I'd say get the bike which is going to make you think " I want to go out for a ride on that "

redjedi

Über Member
bhoyjim said:
Shopping about for new bike through Cyclescheme, came across Cube Aerial (sora) or Cube Peleton (tiagra) both lovely looking bikes, not knowing much about them, wondered if any owners could fill me in a little, also looked at Bianchi but too many people saying bad things about their frames, i was wanting something different so i've tended to avoid the usual suspects, Trek, Spesh, Giant etc.

I looked at the Cube Peleton last year. It's a very nice bike, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

But I'm a Bianchi fan and so had to get another one. I'd like you to point me in the direction of the people having a go at Bianchis :tongue: (except MacB of course, he's just jealous) :becool:

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

redjedi said:
I looked at the Cube Peleton last year. It's a very nice bike, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

But I'm a Bianchi fan and so had to get another one. I'd like you to point me in the direction of the people having a go at Bianchis :smile: (except MacB of course, he's just jealous) :biggrin:

The Bianchi thing came about because i was asking around few LBS, about what bike to get, and near enough all said watch out as there has been numerous problems with frame's cracking etc, don't get me wrong i'd love to own one but the frame issue is seriously putting me off.

redjedi

Über Member
I did a quick search but I can't see any serious problems with the frames being reported.
There are a couple of reports of cracked carbon frames but those are a few years old.

I had my last Bianchi for a couple of years before it was stolen and I rode it daily over all sorts of surfaces, had a couple of crashes and was hit side on by a car (hard enough to bend my crank arm and write of the front wheel), and it was still going strong. In fact after the forks (carbon) survived the impact of the car I was feeling a lot more confident in the build quality.

My current Bianchi rides very nicely (I'm no expert, but it feels good to me) and I'm no svelte professional racer, I like my food too much :biggrin: currently weigh over 14 stone at 6 ft (might be more at the moment do to being off the bike for so long :smile:).

Did the shops who put you off Bianchis actually sell them? They may just have wanted to sell you something they had in stock.
It might be worth calling a shop which sell a lot of Bianchis and see what they have to say.

I really wanted to get something different when I bought my last bike, but the draw of the Bianchi was too strong :biggrin:

Top Bottom