Any Frames With Extra Long Top tubes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Was wondering if there were any compact style frames, off the peg, that tended to longer top tubes? As I've switched to North Road style bars, flipped, it means that the main hands position is back of the stem/bar clamp point. It's a bit more pronounced than butterfly bars and, though I can get there via set back seatposts and long/adjustable stems, it's not ideal.

I actually want an all day frame, long top tube, brake bosses for v/canti, compact - semi compact geometry. So far all I can see for this are cross specific frames or fast hybrids as complete bikes. The cross specific frames tend to have seat tubes as long, or longer than, the top tubes. This would lead to a very big bike, the Surly Crosscheck frame I have setup with these bars is 60cm and I've had to resort to a setback seatpost and 130mm stem.

I'd come to the conclusion that a high end hybrid, similar to the Giant I already have, but sized up, would fit the bill. Ideally I'd like to buy a frame on its own, but can only seem to find complete bikes.

So, short question, anyone know where I can buy a fancy hybrid, frame only, XL or XXL?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
google cotic road rat, or even search this forum:becool:

Some of the Thorn frames/bikes from St John Street Cycles were or are made in two flavours - short or long top tube.
They're not cheap though. It could be that second-hand / ebay is worth a search if you're not in a particular hurry.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
hubgearfreak said:
google cotic road rat, or even search this forum:becool:

have looked at these sort of options but am thinking serious upgrade now. The Cotic already lost out in my decision making process when I bought the Surly Crosscheck frameset. Have decided on a new bike, Van Nicholas amazon, and sorting the full fitting for it via Corridori in Epsom. I'll put the Giant back to its original specification and flog it. By going for the Amazon I open up customisation as an option as well, but only if I can't get the right fit from an off the peg.

so thanks folks, decision made, won't be troubling you again!!!!!!

Top Bottom