any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Hello to all
this is my first post as i have only joined today so please be kind, anyway i have been cycling for just over a year now using a big heavy full suss mtb with loaded panniers for commuting (crazy i know) so the time has come for new bike which i am getting thru cyclesheme, went along to LBS in glasgow and tried out a giant escape m2 disc 2009 which seems to fit the bill, so i am trying to find out if this bike is any good or not all reviews most welcome.
BHOYJIM

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Welcome!! :smile:

Can't comment on that bike, but someone else will be along any second to let you know their thoughts (and possibly to comment that the boards are being overrun by Scots!! :smile:).

Alves

Giant are a huge and reputable company so you will get a reliable bike for that price (£350 - 400).
It looks like it's geared for off road rather than on road commuting and the heavy wide and knobbly tyres will slow it down a bit. If you're looking for a do-it-all bike with MTB roots capable on trails then this is a reasonable choice.
If you're mostly on road then you could get a much faster Giant with flat bars and narrow wheels for a similar price like the FCR 4 or a Specialized Sirrus.
This would give you a nice contrast to your old full sus bike which could be used for off road and the new bike on the road.

I've got an Escape M0. Came with Maxxis Detonator tyres (26x1.5) I'd rate them as decent commuting slicks, rims are quite narrow and won't sensibly take anything much wider anyway.
It is geared higher than most mtb I've seen - big chainring is a 48 and as it's flat around here I don't use much else.
There is also the Escape 'R' range - these have the bigger 700c wheels and probably a bit more road only orientated. Still look more of a mtb style though.
Have a think about the surfaces like on your commute, any of it off-road? can you avoid those bits and go as suggested for more of a road bike?

Alves said:
It looks like it's geared for off road rather than on road commuting and the heavy wide and knobbly tyres will slow it down a bit. If you're looking for a do-it-all bike with MTB roots capable on trails then this is a reasonable choice.
If you're mostly on road then you could get a much faster Giant with flat bars and narrow wheels for a similar price like the FCR 4 or a Specialized Sirrus.
This would give you a nice contrast to your old full sus bike which could be used for off road and the new bike on the road.

rnscotch

Veteran
What area of Glasgow if you don't mind me asking as i am sure i saw a bike from my part of the world, fitting the description of your bike.

As already said the Giant is bound to be a good bike because it's a Giant but thought you could also look at one of these very similar sort of thing slim/slick tyres rigid frame and forks flat bars and makes a very good fast commuter I know from experience. Just a thought, there are also other models in the range with disc brakes and a model with hub gears !

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C105&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002910

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Piemaster said:
I've got an Escape M0. Came with Maxxis Detonator tyres (26x1.5) I'd rate them as decent commuting slicks, rims are quite narrow and won't sensibly take anything much wider anyway.
It is geared higher than most mtb I've seen - big chainring is a 48 and as it's flat around here I don't use much else.
There is also the Escape 'R' range - these have the bigger 700c wheels and probably a bit more road only orientated. Still look more of a mtb style though.
Have a think about the surfaces like on your commute, any of it off-road? can you avoid those bits and go as suggested for more of a road bike?

Perhaps i should have mentioned that i also like to go a bit off road i:e canal, bike paths etc so do you think it will be ok or will i need to change tyres for this?

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Welcome!! :biggrin:

Can't comment on that bike, but someone else will be along any second to let you know their thoughts (and possibly to comment that the boards are being overrun by Scots!! :biggrin:).

and one day the world will be run by scots :biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
It was a cheap shot. I apologise. Good luck with choosing your new bike. As an aside, I find the little shop down Saltmarket really good for repairs. Billy Billsland - I think. I tend to take my commuting bike there and he fixes it while I am at work.

Top Bottom