any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heweypotter

Hi,my sons bike was stolen on Easter Sunday and we r confident we know who has it and the police are looking in to it.
I have the receipts and all the info but unfortunatly I didnt take down the serial number for the bike
Does anyone know of any way I could find this out maybe ,I know its a long shot .I have already asked halfords but they said they don't have this info.
Is there another way I could prove its my sons bike?
Any help is much appreciated.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Don't know if it would count but do you know of any distinct markings such as on my son's front forks - 3 parallel scratches that he made when he accidentally dropped it the day after he got it... especially if you had photographs of it or sticker peeling off? (sorry I'm probably grasping as straws here).

OP
OP
H

heweypotter

Many thanks,it had a ripped right handle grip,broken bell and 3 spot led lights on.as you can .the grips have been ripped off and the lights and bell have been taken off.its also been de stickered.

JohnHenry

Loose member.
Halfords most certainly DO have that info - it's just that the store cannot be arsed to look it up for you - how else can they guarantee the bike?

Insist on the manager getting involved and jump up and down a bit (I know it's against the British nature LOL), if necessary getting Head Office involved and muttering darkly about Halfords not being interested in security.

Best of luck with this.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Agreed with 100% Send a letter (and keep sending letters) to the FD of Halfords requesting the information. This usually has the desired effect as they do not like to be bothered by customer service issues.
Halfords most certainly DO have that info - it's just that the store cannot be arsed to look it up for you - how else can they guarantee the bike?

Insist on the manager getting involved and jump up and down a bit (I know it's against the British nature LOL), if necessary getting Head Office involved and muttering darkly about Halfords not being interested in security.

Best of luck with this.

subaqua

What’s the point
Bike shops do not keep records of frame numbers for the bikes they sell!

Oh yes they do.

I can get the serial number of all the bikes i have bought at decathlon by logging into my account. The store can also look up too as they did when the bikes went in for 1st service. a tiny weeny bike store might not but Halfrauds Evans etc most certainly will.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I know of two that do........

Oh yes they do.

I can get the serial number of all the bikes i have bought at decathlon by logging into my account. The store can also look up too as they did when the bikes went in for 1st service. a tiny weeny bike store might not but Halfrauds Evans etc most certainly will.
that's impressive,, although Decathlon could hardly rise any higher in my estimation.

One of the bike shops that I know of is teeny-weeny, by the way.

And, though I type this through gritted teeth, Brompton keep records of every bike they ship.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of my local bike shops do. When I bought a bike from them a few years back, they turned it over, got the number and added it to the/my info on their computer.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

My LBS does - they also mark the bike with the shop's post-code so that if it is stolen and recovered by the police it should end up back there again. (Flaw in that plan is if you sell on the bike I guess).

e-rider

crappy member
My LBS does - they also mark the bike with the shop's post-code so that if it is stolen and recovered by the police it should end up back there again. (Flaw in that plan is if you sell on the bike I guess).

this must be a recent develpoment then with most shops.

I certainly wouldn't be keen to have the shops postcode stamped on my shiny new bike!

and I stand corrected. I used to work in Halfords and we never kept serial numbers back then.

OP
OP
H

heweypotter

Many thanks,I've emailed halfords and as was said earlier they say they don't have the serial number so I've emailed again that how can they guarantee the bike without proof its actually that bike.I'm waiting their response.its so frustrating that I know its his bike but I just need to nail the proof

Top Bottom