Any long term TPU tube users on here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
With Ali Express selling TPU tubes at much more reasonable price that the Tubilito or the Pirelli ones, I keep thinking that perhaps I should give them a try?

Has anyone got any long-term experience using them?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Was that a piece of tumble weed that blew past the thread...... :laugh:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
The answer is probably 'No' !

I think you might be right which really does surprise me to be honest. I could understand it the Tubilito prices, but now they are down to a more realistic price and given the decent reviews that they get, I assumed that more people would have tried them.

I've just ordered a couple from Ali Express, as I'm really curious to understand how they feel. But if nothing else they do pack down really small, so ideal to carry as spares.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Ah I don't race so of no great interest

Neither do I, but it's always good to keep abreast of modern technology

DogmaStu

I tried Tubilito tubes on my Trek for awhile. Very light, can drop 100g per wheel but they puncture easily and while they can be repaired, I've never had one take to it very well.

If you want to use them on a race bike to drop some extra weight, fine, but for general riding, no.

I've long since gone tubeless and not going back to tubes.

Edit to add: I wouldn't use them as a backup for tubeless, personally, because TPU are very thin and need to be installed just right - not nice if you have sealant gunk to deal with on the road.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I tried Tubilito tubes on my Trek for awhile. Very light, can drop 100g per wheel but they puncture easily and while they can be repaired, I've never had one take to it very well.

If you want to use them on a race bike to drop some extra weight, fine, but for general riding, no.

I'm long since gone tubeless and not going back to tubes.

That's interesting - heard one of the benefits was improved puncture resistance over butyl... this drew me to the idea, but I'm put off by permeability and patching issues. If they're no better than a standard tube for puncture resistance that makes for an easy decision!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
That's interesting - heard one of the benefits was improved puncture resistance over butyl... this drew me to the idea, but I'm put off by permeability and patching issues. If they're no better than a standard tube for puncture resistance that makes for an easy decision!

That's what I thought as well?

Top Bottom