Any plumbers here...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
No, nothing to do with the Lesbian Plumbers thread on Soapbox.

I am considering jacking in my current job and doing something completely different - and have thought about becoming a plumber. I have just sent an email to LearnDirect to help me out. We'll see what they say.

Is anyone out there a plumber or knows someone who is? How/Where did they get qualified? What are the pros and cons of the job? Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Maz

Melvil

No advice I'm afraid, but only a story about Einstein. He was once asked in an interview if there was anything in his life he would have done differently. 'Become a plumber' he replied, 'people always need plumbers'. In response an association of plumbers (I think it was the American association, not sure) made him an honorary member, of which he was very proud.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Maz said:
No, nothing to do with the Lesbian Plumbers thread on Soapbox.

I am considering jacking in my current job and doing something completely different - and have thought about becoming a plumber. I have just sent an email to LearnDirect to help me out. We'll see what they say.

Is anyone out there a plumber or knows someone who is? How/Where did they get qualified? What are the pros and cons of the job? Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Maz

My brother is doing a 2 year plumbing course at the moment while working at Millipore with the intention of getting out and seting up for himelf
The course was hugly oversubscribed ( Gateshead college)on a first-come first served basis I believe he queued from 6.30am and just made it while there was 100yd queue behind him :angry:

handy for the family too

Hi Maz, I retrained as a plumber a few years ago after 20+ years working in bike shops for sh!t wages. I trained in Bristol and the course lasted two years, the third year covered advanced plumbing such as systems design and took you to Gorgi level. We covered gas in year two so although I'm not 'qualified' I had no problem installing my own boiler a couple of years ago (perfectly legal BTW, I am considered a 'competent person' in law).

The course was very over-subscribed, people were queueing up for days so I had to wait a year to get on. I enjoyed the course, I'm quite practical so it came relatively easy to me but after a couple of years I got bored of plumbing, which, combined with slightly dodgy knees and hips, made every day a chore. I'd find myself stuck behind someones dirty old toilet and think 'this is shoot, how did I end up here? I think if I had started earlier (like 20 years!) in life I might have persevered and got somewhere with it but I found it stressful and exhausting.
Luckily I managed to persuade Company of Cyclists that they needed me, my twenty years of experience in the cycle trade hasn't gone to waste so iIm happier than I've ever been professionally.

One of the problems I had with plumbing is the enormous responsibility of working on someone's house, a simple mistake can have huge consequences, and I found myself worrying constantly about jobs I was working on.

However, I'm really glad I have the skills, I still do bits here and there, and I'm glad I got out of retail. Most of the people I trained with are doing really well and enjoying it so don't let my experience put you off.

I still have all my course materials if you're interested in borrowing them.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm at a bit of a crossroads at the mo' with what to do. Might try and enrol on a local evening course to see if I get a real taste for plumbing (what little I have done includes changing radiators, fitting sinks and wash basins, soldering pipes and jobs like that). I'm married with 3 kids - if I can't retrain without leaving my current job, I'll have to rethink the whole plumbing thing - I don't think I could cope financially while getting trained.

Hand on heart, my ideal job would be somewhere nice and sunny in Spain, teaching English to Spaniards. The pay would be crap, but that wouldn't bother me. More of a pipe-dream to be honest...

domtyler

Über Member
Patrick Stevens said:
Dom obviously is? :laugh:

What better way to spend a Friday afternoon? :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I wouldn't do it mate. Plumbing is easy, my neighbour has taught me and I can do simple stuff. But where plumbers and probably others come unstuck is in the management of their work and the costing of the jobs. If you are ruthless like a solicitor and you account for every minute and every penny, you'll succeed, but if not you'll be in constant dispute with clients and a slow downward spiral into debt and depression.

You write clear literate English, unlike some on here, so you come across as an able and intelligent sort of bloke. Companies all over the country are crying out for honest reliable employees who can do a decent day's work - why not get on yer bike and start filling in a few application forms? The only limit is your own imagination, believe me!

domtyler

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:
I wouldn't do it mate. Plumbing is easy, my neighbour has taught me and I can do simple stuff. But where plumbers and probably others come unstuck is in the management of their work and the costing of the jobs. If you are ruthless like a solicitor and you account for every minute and every penny, you'll succeed, but if not you'll be in constant dispute with clients and a slow downward spiral into debt and depression.

You write clear literate English, unlike some on here, so you come across as an able and intelligent sort of bloke. Companies all over the country are crying out for honest reliable employees who can do a decent day's work - why not get on yer bike and start filling in a few application forms? The only limit is your own imagination, believe me!

Is this a roundabout way of offering Maz a position? :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sadly no, I don't have that power but I would encourage him to write to our personnel director if he was in Manchester as we are always looking for people.

Top Bottom