Any suggestions for a 5 day route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris1850

Hi. Newbie so please bear with me!!

I am a reasonably fit 52 yo bloke who who took up cycling again earlier this summer. I bought a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra and am absolutely thrilled with it - never realised road cycling could be so much fun!!

I am now doing around 80/100 miles a week in 20/30 mile chunks around Cheshire. Most of the routes I have devised are reasonably flat though with some relatively short inclines. If I am feeling brave (or foolhardy) I will include the climb up to the Wizard in Alderley Edge which is about 3/4 mile but pretty steep. I am averaging around 14mph during my runs.

Anyway, I am now keen to spread my wings a bit and would welcome any suggestions/advice on the following:

Can anyone suggest a good (say 200 mile) route that would be manageable and enjoyable for someone of my ability over 4/5 days. It needs to be scenic, mainly along quieter roads and lanes and without anything too dramatic in the way of hills!!! It can be anywhere in the UK, not necessarily circular. I would be doing the ride with a couple of pals of similar ability, two of us on road bikes, one on a mountain bike. We envisage staying in pubs/B&Bs and doing around 40 miles or so daily.

One of the group has suggested we look at Cycle route 7 - Glasgow to Inverness. I have had a look at this myself and would welcome any feedback from members who know this route. My concerns with it are
(a) Is it suitable for a road bike - there seem to be mixed messages about this as some of the route appears to be on a disused gravel railway track and
(b) To me, Scotland generates images of big hills and mountains!! There are undoubtedly several climbs involved but I find it difficult to gauge how 'bad' these might be and whether the run would just be sheer hard work and therefore not very enjoyable!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received and thankyou in advance.

Peter88

Veteran
Hi Chris just read your post with some interest as i have been thinking over the last weekend of doing the Trans Pennine Trail From Southport to Hornsea near Hull. It is mainly all converted railway lines and off road.

ZIZAG

Veteran
:biggrin: Hello Chris.
And Welcome . Have a look at and read my route . "North Wales Cycle ".
Blog .
Its all on your doorstep ,as you are already In Cheshire .

I did 130 miles . You can easily add to the route another 70 Miles .
I usually cycle all around the Cheshire Cycleways . Then head West .
I went As far as Wrexham then Into Denbighshire near Ruthin . You could go further North to the N/W coast towards Rhyl return via Chester, Delamere ,Davenham, Knutsford . :smile::becool: :hello:
Good luck

aberal

Guru
There's a thread on here about a trip from Edinburgh to Manchester - see here. Which is in your vicinity - how about going visa versa and a ride up to Edinburgh and take the train back?

One thing I'm not sure about, is how do you envisage carrying your gear? Even staying in pubs/B&B's you will need a change of clothes etc.

Paladin - York

I am a reasonably fit 52 yo bloke who who took up cycling again earlier this summer. I bought a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra and am absolutely thrilled with it - never realised road cycling could be so much fun!!

I am now doing around 80/100 miles a week in 20/30 mile chunks around Cheshire. Most of the routes I have devised are reasonably flat though with some relatively short inclines. If I am feeling brave (or foolhardy) I will include the climb up to the Wizard in Alderley Edge which is about 3/4 mile but pretty steep. I am averaging around 14mph during my runs.

Anyway, I am now keen to spread my wings a bit and would welcome any suggestions/advice on the following:

Can anyone suggest a good (say 200 mile) route that would be manageable and enjoyable for someone of my ability over 4/5 days. It needs to be scenic, mainly along quieter roads and lanes and without anything too dramatic in the way of hills!!! It can be anywhere in the UK, not necessarily circular. I would be doing the ride with a couple of pals of similar ability, two of us on road bikes, one on a mountain bike. We envisage staying in pubs/B&Bs and doing around 40 miles or so daily.

One of the group has suggested we look at Cycle route 7 - Glasgow to Inverness. I have had a look at this myself and would welcome any feedback from members who know this route. My concerns with it are
(a) Is it suitable for a road bike - there seem to be mixed messages about this as some of the route appears to be on a disused gravel railway track and
(b) To me, Scotland generates images of big hills and mountains!! There are undoubtedly several climbs involved but I find it difficult to gauge how 'bad' these might be and whether the run would just be sheer hard work and therefore not very enjoyable!

Hi chris1850

Regarding NCN7 Glasgow/Inverness- I have done this in both directions and although most of the route is on road there is a section through the Cairngorms, south of Newtonmore to an area north of Calvine, that is on a loose/shingle track type surface plus cattle grids etc. I've done it on a mtb with knobblies and with semi-slicks. A friend of mine did it on a hybrid with road tyres - ok but not ideal? This year's trip involved a bit of pick up, push & carry for a mile or so south of Newtonmore due to roadworks. These works may have finished by now? I did meet a couple of chaps this year on a tandem near Dalwhinnie, I had to step into the undergrowth to let them pass as they couldn't stop!

The hills on this route aren't too bad, there are a few steep ones south of Inverness/Culloden (going south) but they are relatively short & sharp. The hills tend to be long & gradual eg up to Dalwhinnie, Drumochter & Slochd.

I've a few photos of this area in the Gallery - Rides & Events - Cape Wrath to York.

OP
OP
C

chris1850

Thanks for the replies.

Zizag - have thought about North Wales although some pretty daunting hills put me off!! Though I confess that I hadn't considered sticking to the coastal areas, so that's a thought.

Paladin - thanks for your advice. Must admit, I am tempted to try NCN7, particularly after having just come back this evening having finally cracked 'The Wizard' out of Alderley Edge in one go for the first time!!

Guess reassurance comes from more & more training and if you don't try it you will never know!

Thanks again to all who have responded

Chris

ZIZAG

Veteran
:biggrin: Chris dont ever go to Wrexham and take the A 525 to Ruthin .
Like I did loaded with panniers . It just go's on and on windey bends and one hill after another . Very very Dangerous road . Even worse than the East West A534 .. I had to get of and walk and push my bike . It seemed like 3 maybe 5 miles to The Highest Village called Coedpoeth .
So then you think you have finally reached the top and the flipping road goe's higher still to the monument at Bwlchgwyn . And then you have reached the very top . Its all downhill to Four Crosses and LLandegla .
Its like cycling up the Wizard at Alderley edge . For mile after mile .
So you have been warned . :wub:
If you do go to North Wales the fastest route is on the old Chester Road A556 . Thats If you dont mind all the heavy fast traffic .
I usually go through all the Cheshire cycle lanes . Via Wilmslow Mobberley ,Toft ,Ollerton, Lower peover And come out at Davenham .About 18 miles from Handforth ,,,,,,,,,Then onto the A556/ A51. .
I cycled through Chester traffic last tour . No problem . But since then have found looking at Landranger O/S map 1:25000 that there are 2 x dedicated NCR 5 cycle routes avoiding the traffic . Running along the Shropshire canal heading West eventually running parrell with the Dee estuary out to Connahs Quay . to the North Wales coast . This Is my next cycle & Camp tour . When the weather gets better soon . :ohmy: :becool: :wacko: :hello:

Zoof

Hi all my first route
http://www.bikemap.net/route/414814
and

http://www.bikemap.net/route/414955

they are out of date
so use your map cheers Zoof

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Nice routes Zoof - especially like the back road from Corwen to Bala and then the south side of the lake.

Chris - my personal preference is to avoid all 'A' roads except for the odd half mile, so with that in mind you could pick up the NR75 at Nantwich and ride through Audlem and Market Drayton to Newport, follow the lanes west, picking up NR81 as you get closer to Shrewsbury - then the NR81 runs 113 miles from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth. It gets hilly in Wales but it's great riding on quiet roads. You can come back on the train - it's a 2 hourly service from Aber.

Whichever route you take I expect to meet you next July on the Bert Bailey Veterans 100 http://www.ctcchesterandnwales.org.uk/pdf/BertBaileyMemorialVeterans2011.pdf - all the riders are over 50 so you'll be one of the nippers.

The Hebrides south to North. Not difficult, only one major hill but the weather can introduce an additional challenge.
Alternatively lots of mix and match island hopping routes can be formulated with a map of Scotland and a Caledonian Macbrayne ferry timetable (look at the island hopscotch tickets for inspiration).

OP
OP
C

chris1850

Thanks everyone for the replies

I like the sound of al-fresco's suggestion of Nantwich - Shrewsbury area. I live just outside Knutsford so I am sure I could devise a good circular route starting there and taking in S.Cheshire and Shropshire, over 3 days or so. Not quite so sure I fancy tackling the Aberwystwyth 'diversion' so might leave that part for consideration at a later date!! Thanks also for the invite to the Bert Bailey Veterans. I am only just getting used to being over 50. Not sure that I want to acquire 'veteran' status just yet!!!

Thanks also Zoof for your 2 routes through N.Wales. Certainly the coast route to Porthmadog is one that I have considered. It is useful to see the route profile on the bikemap.net site and that certainly doesn't seem to hold too many horrors!

In fact the bikemap site is really good for this reason. It is quite gratifying to note that my 'huge achievement' of being able to get up the Wizard at Alderley Edge, which would appear to be approx. 300 feet in 1/2 mile, is actually not a bad effort! Might even venture gingerly out to the other side of Macclesfield on that basis now!!

Thanks again guys - as a born again cyclist after many years of abstinence, the advice etc available from this website generally is really helpful.

Chris

rollinbone

200 miles? have you thought about doing a coast to coast route

I did one at age of 48 in 1995 on an old Claud Butler with 4 pannier bags and a heavy tent (3.5kgs)
Took me 6 days, the weather was hot and the scenery great, plus it gave me a great sense of achievement
to reach the end after 186 miles

My route was from Ravenglas>>Hawes>>Robin Hoods Bay
This took in the lake district, the yorkshire dales and the n.york moors
Included the dreaded 'Hard Knotts pass' in the lakes that even some cars struggle to get up
I do not have any worries about getting off and pushing if I have to - makes a change

Ravenglas has a train service, and you can get back on the train via Whitby which is a couple miles north of RHB
and a great place to visit anyway. I pitched up during the Whitby folk festival which made things more interesting.
That's still held on August bank holiday w/e as far as I know.

Zoof

Cris1850 stay away from the Bert Bailey Veterans 100 they are all ringers!!!!
whistling.gif
with iron-man testosterone to boot!
wave.gif

Top Bottom