Anybody know what this is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Looking over my new frame today, I spotted a nipple (it's the only word I can think of to describe it) on the inside of the offside chainstay, about 75mm above where the cassette goes. Having looked on th'interweb, I found this pic of the same thing on a frame like mine. Anybody know what it is?

kenesis-racelight-stays-hi.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's to hang the chain on when the back wheel is out.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Completely OT, I see you've got the same wheels as me Eldudino; I'd never heard of them untill I googled Quasar, there pretty heavy but touch wood bombproof.

Not my bike I'm afraid, mine's yet to be built up but will be wearing similarly heavy and bombproof Mavic CXP-22's laced to Tiagra hubs.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
It's useful if you need both wheels out to get the bike in a bag or a small car.
Means there's not loose chain marking the car or collecting cr@p from the boot!!

PBK used to do a full drive-set cover to go on the bike fur such occasions, I emailed them about it recently but they no longer do them, shame as I could now actually do with one. They were only £12 at the time so I should've just bought one!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wow, very rare on a modern bike.............. both my (vintage 1990's) road bikes have them.....as both were race bikes.......... as said, keeps the chain tight and not slopping about..........

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Wow, very rare on a modern bike.

I'm not sure how 'modern' it is now, I got the frame as NOS but I think it's probably a 2007 model or something, not too sure, there's no date on it and the colourscheme stayed the same until 2008 I think.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Wow, very rare on a modern bike.............. both my (vintage 1990's) road bikes have them.....as both were race bikes.......... as said, keeps the chain tight and not slopping about..........

probably they are only on steel frames due to ease of welding. never seen one on an alu or carbon bike.

my old cb olympic sprint has an extra nipple on the bb shell to oil the bb.

Top Bottom