Anyone done Lejog/Jogle in winter ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KAD240

Just wondering if it's possible what with all the winter snow that scotland/northern England gets.

I would like to give it a try but it'll take a month or so of prep - which takes us into dec ! Is that too late ? Can it be done on minor -
Roads in winter ?

Anyone done it in winter ?

Thanks for any advice .

Kev.

snorri

Legendary Member
It will be possible but you should allow for delays, but why would you want to?.
Roads are seldom blocked with snow for more than a day, but may be very difficult or dangerous to cycle on for longer periods due to frozen snow and ice. Are you aware of the life threatening dangers of being caught out in bad weather in rural areas? On the other hand you could hit a mild spell and road conditions would present no problems. You are more likely to encounter rain and gales which will delay you, be tiring and unpleasant. The shorter hours of winter daylight have to be considered, it's not much fun cycling on minor roads in the dark.

jay clock

Massive member
The shorter hours of winter daylight have to be considered, it's not much fun cycling on minor roads in the dark.
The lack of light is the big issue. But if doing it in the dark then minor roads would be nicer.

It would not attract me in the slightest. John OG the sun rises after 9 and sets at 1520 in mid December.

Just wondering if it's possible what with all the winter snow that scotland/northern England gets.

I would like to give it a try but it'll take a month or so of prep - which takes us into dec ! Is that too late ? Can it be done on minor -
Roads in winter ?

Thanks for any advice .

Kev.

The problem with trying to plan for either direction is the weather in the British Isles is so unpredictable, I have known times in winter the roads of Scotland are quite free of snow, and down south we are skating and sliding all over the place, like wise you can have some glens snowbound and others clear. Also depending who is clearing the Snow depends how clear some roads will be, and others not, as a lot of minor roads are cleared by the local farmers contracted by the council, and they have a vested interested in clearing the roads; well as far as their property.

But as snorri has pointed out, you have shorter days, if its cold day after day it slowly wears you down, and that leaves you at risk of suffering from hyperthermia, more so if you get caught out in the open, rural areas where the wind and rain and wind chill factor can really be a problem.

But for all that I normally do 2 or 3 cycle packing trips during the winter months and no harm has come to me yet, but i do restrict myself to the Southeast and southwest counties.

It did cross my mind when I was cycling down from Durness earlier this year, that some of the minor roads i used would be interesting in winter conditions. I guess the answer to your questions, is nothing is imposible, and with the right planning and equipment, there should not be too much problems that cannot be resolved. I guess in Northern Scotland and England a little snow does not stop people going out on there bikes

jarushby

Roads in winter ?

Thanks for any advice .

Kev.

I think if you are asking this question, then the answer is yes, it is too late.

Lack of light and greater possibility of poor weather, while not making it impossible, will certainly make it more difficult and less enjoyable. Depending on the route, there are parts that even in September, if the weather changes for the worse it can get a little tricky. eg, You dont want to be at the top of Shap (or Rannock Moor) when the wind picks up or it starts to snow.

I would use the time to prepare more and wait until spring.

dodgy

I've just been trying to imagine what it must be like after a (half :biggrin: ) day in the saddle, you're looking forward to a pint and a good meal, maybe sit outside and take in the early evening sun, perhaps take some time for fettling your bike.
But the reality of a long tour in British winter is battling through wind, rain and cold - your destination becomes less of an attractive place to rest and more of a refuge. Imagine being at the end of the day, wet, cold perhaps a bit miserable and having the prospect of repeating tomorrow?

Having said all that, do it! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

KAD240

The reason I asked the question is down to a change of circumstance.
I now have time to do the ride but it's the wrong time of year.

But is it ?

I think it's an interesting topic because people tend not to try it in winter, maybe it would be an even more rewarding challange .

Plus i've seen the odd CGOAB post with people going over mountain passes on bikes in winter so it can be done.

I guess a strong headwind and rain on a 2 deg day would change my mind though

I'm just impatient and hate the thought of having to wait till next year to do it ( when i might not have the time.)

e-rider

crappy member
you would have fewer hours of daylight to play with and I wouldn't be keen to cycle those roads in the dark. Rain and poor light can also make the roads more dangerous. Poor weather could/would make it a very miserable experience IMO.

I did it in Spetember and riding through Cumbria we experienced some wet and windy weather in an exposed aera which was very cold and horrible - I wouldn't like to think what it would be like in the middle of winter!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I agree with "Why would you want to" ?

Wind chill is an awful thing. Rain and standing still cold is bad enough but wind chill even at 20kph for a short period is really bad.

Then put in excercise and sweating and then wind chill and you are talking about a literal killer.

Or you can wait until the summer and knowing the UK you can still suffer wind chill.

:biggrin:

Steve

Patombr

Go for chaps or lasses, lifes for living. If you spend too much time thinking about consequences then nobody would do anything. Like the saying goes just get out and ride.
I you have time on your side you could start at 9 and ride till 3 and then chill. I personally don't let anything put me off. Anything is possible to a willing mind.
Pat

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Didn't the Sportrelief relay team cycle JOGLE in February/March time?
Also I remember that Laurence Dallaglio rode from Rome to all the other 6 nations venues in February and March including riding through snow at the start.

It is perfectly possible to ride these routes at any time of year, but I personally would prefer to have a go in the summer.

delport

Go for chaps or lasses, lifes for living. If you spend too much time thinking about consequences then nobody would do anything. Like the saying goes just get out and ride.
I you have time on your side you could start at 9 and ride till 3 and then chill. I personally don't let anything put me off. Anything is possible to a willing mind.
Pat

I done it in October finishing the ride just before the clocks went back an hour, the weather at times was like winter.
Only 2 weeks later some of those same places i went through were blocked off by extreme weather.

And if you go to places like Shap you'd have trouble getting through there in bad weather.

Possibly most people don't even consider travelling due to the chance of being stranded, cycling on ice or snow isn't a great idea either, or camping out in extreme weather.
I camped every night during my trip.Outside the tent it was freezing at times.And that was only october,not proper winter.

On my trip i only saw 2 or 3 other folk that appeared to be doing the end to end.

Top Bottom