Anyone else got a carlton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My roadie is an old carlton that my dad bought while he was still at school in the 60's, just wondering if anyone else has a carlton at all?

from the days before Raleigh took them over :biggrin:

while we're at it, anyone know exactly what mine is and can point me in the right direction of transfers for it, I'd like to re-paint it
pbpic1271615.jpg

SP_A0005%231.jpg

built up

Hallie is a 1960's Carlton, can't quite remember what i was told she is, case de primes or something and i'm aware i've mutilated her.
she's orange for want of a better colour but i'd like to re paint her to look a bit more original.
she's got a silver rack and black grip tape, she's retained her cotted cranks and i learnt to build wheels to put 27 inch wheels on (the ones fitted were shot and not the originals) she's also got a deore rear mech as its what was in my spares box.

if anyone actually knows what colours she should be and what decals should be on her i'd be very glad to know (pm me please)

might start a new thread to find out actually.

I believe that Bagpuss is the chap you need to speak to. The bike chappy, hangs around these parts, not the slightly moth-eaten old cloth cat.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I've had a look through that supplier before, however there's no mention of what i think my frame is and i've no idea what the decals should look like ;)

OP
OP
Black Sheep
looking at the carlton cycles link the frames all seem the same (the mass produced ones anyway) and its the specification that makes it a different bike? would this assumption be correct?

thinking mines a corsa, i'm sure my dad said it was a corsa de something tho...
i know the blue, white and yellow is its original colours

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Pushing tin said:
looking at the carlton cycles link the frames all seem the same (the mass produced ones anyway) and its the specification that makes it a different bike? would this assumption be correct?
No, the frames will have different geometry depending on whether they were for racing or touring etc, (ie, a racing bike will have more relaxed angle on the headset etc, giving a more relaxed ride) and the tubes they are made with will be different weights. Touring bikes will have eyelets for a rack etc.

Do the seat stays wrap over in front of the seat tube?

The Carlton Corsair is a 60's touring bike, but I can't find a Carlton Corasair de Primes, or a Corsa de Primes.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
yes the seat stays do wrap over the front of the seat tube,
it came with cotted cranks and i presume just a 5 speed, only got routing for a single cable,

Dad says its not a corsa but a course (or corse) de primes but i can't find any pics by that description on google

magnidec

CARLTON COURSE DES PRIMES

Hello Pushing tin,
Your bike is a Carlton Course Des Primes. It was made for a few years in the mid 60's only. Maybe 65-68. I bought one new as a teenager in 67 from Don Skeene in Cardiff. It wasn't, I'm afraid, made with 531 tubing but was an impressive spec. Mine was painted Tirian Mauve (very dark purple) and metallic Parma Violet. Chrome forks front and rear with fancy Crespera lugwork. I had it stolen after 11 months and after saving all year to build the bike from a bare frame I couldn't afford the insurance, doh! I saw one on e-bay last year which I bought instantly as they never come up for sale and there's next to no information on the web about them. I also have a b/w catalogue from 67/68 listing the bike though, and of course the frame I bought. I kept the frame but binned all the other parts as the plan is to rebuild the same bike I had, using the same parts as I did 40 years ago. It's a lot easier now sourcing stuff from the internet, but if I can help with anything, let me know, happy to oblige.
:tongue::laugh::biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
I have a Carlton, but from after the Raleigh takeover (1960 I think). It was made in May '77 according to the serial number.

3303051891_9a265b1137_b.jpg

Can any of the more knowledgeable folks on here identify what model? I may or may not repaint the frame later this year and the North road handlebars are a temporary fitment as the drops which came on the frame were unusually narrow and I felt very uncomfortable as a result.

I've got an early 1980's Carlton Kermesse, given to me by a dying friend a couple of years ago. It's a metallic green/blue, with chromed forks, and until recently had the mythical Shimano 600ax Aero cranks.

I couldn't get on with the toe clips so Dave Marsh at the Universal Cycle Centre in Maltby put me regular 600 cranks and front rings on.
For the sake of interest he does full restorations, with the bike resprayed and labelled back to original spec by a former Carlton employee.

I'm primarily a mountain biker but this bike has introduced me to being a roadie too. I think I'm hooked.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
MY commuter is a 1974 carlton continental. Does approx 12000 km per year - well has done for the last 4, still going strong - well - now has 9 speed STI drivetrain and dual pivot brakes. Got it powdercoated 2 years ago, looks lovely

Top Bottom