Anyone got one of these or know much about them ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Dave, I'm no expert on electric bikes, but what would worry me with a “built in battery”, what happens if the said company goes bust and you need a replacement.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Dave, I'm no expert on electric bikes, but what would worry me with a “built in battery”, what happens if the said company goes bust and you need a replacement.
My understanding is that all/most built in batteries are interchangeable (I may have that wrong).
They can be removed and replaced by a competent person..... which lets me out ^_^ or at your LBS.
One of the reasons I am looking at Cannondale is that the dealer is local

My understanding is that all/most built in batteries are interchangeable (I may have that wrong).
They can be removed and replaced by a competent person..... which lets me out ^_^ or at your LBS.
mm - cannondale - been though several ownerships - god knows who owns them now - for a while had no British representation - I had a very nice expensive dale with clever suspension - had increasing issues getting it serviced - ended up speaking to a dale bod in the netherlands who basically said scrap it - said that I surely wouldn't expect to get bits/servicing for a car of that age (10 years maybe) and would surely just scrap that. Not true for cars of course and I found his argument bizarre and terrible.
I wouldn't touch anything by dale now.
It is a wonderful frame though - excellent welding of the ally. Done in the states I think.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

The battery case is bespoke, so if the company folds a replacement may be hard to source.

However, it uses standard Samsung cells, so it should be possible to recell it, provided the case can be opened and closed without wrecking it, and provided the software doesn't brick itself if the cells are changed.

That's unlikely, although Bosch bikes cannot be recelled for this reason, even though they use the same widely available lithium ion cells.

mm - cannondale - been though several ownerships - god knows who owns them now - for a while had no British representation - I had a very nice expensive dale with clever suspension - had increasing issues getting it serviced - ended up speaking to a dale bod in the netherlands who basically said scrap it - said that I surely wouldn't expect to get bits/servicing for a car of that age (10 years maybe) and would surely just scrap that. Not true for cars of course and I found his argument bizarre and terrible.
I wouldn't touch anything by dale now.
It is a wonderful frame though - excellent welding of the ally. Done in the states I think.

It was always said the American made and welded Cannondales were better than the Far East ones.

I believe Cannondale still make a handful of models at home, but most are outsourced.

From Dave's point of view, I can't see any reason to think a Cannondale ebike will be any better or worse than the other major brands.

From Dave's point of view, I can't see any reason to think a Cannondale ebike will be any better or worse than the other major brands.
Well I'd ask some questions about their commitment to future service.
Maybe they have moved on from the snotty idiotic bloke I spoke to - and the contemptible attitude behind it.
I have also had, as I think I have said before, the owner of an ebike shop suggest to me that after 8 years or so I might like to scrap an ebike bought from him and buy another heap of metal. I'd popped in after a nice ride round the north downs on my 20 year old steel bike which I'd replaced the transmission on without too much trouble to make it a better bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well I'd ask some questions about their commitment to future service.

I suppose the best you can say is they look well established as a brand.

The only worthwhile commitment to future service - as opposed to predictable platitudes - I've heard of is from Bosch.

They undertake to make all spares available for at least seven years after the component drops out of the original equipment catalogue.

My three-year-old batteries, but not the motor, are still current, so that means I have at least seven years from today during which spares will still be available.

Top Bottom