Anyone know anything about wifi routers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
You could get a powerline wifi booster, runs data down the power sockets to the garage, and wifi or ethernet in there. Thats about the cheapest option assuming you have power in the garage. Just name the network home-ext or some such where your home wifi is named home. Needs to be a slightly different name so you know you are on the nearer wifi.

More expensive is to go with a mesh system.

Done this in my house now that I am having to work at home to get a better signal upstairs. Easy and reasonably effective.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't want to overegg the pudding too much, but I used to be a full time network engineer and have set up and managed many, many wireless networks.

I have never, ever, known a WiFi system that 'just works' or is as stable as this Mesh setup https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...ome-wifi-system-triple-pack-10184407-pdt.html

Especially when you get the firmware up to date and set them to reboot nightly.

figbat

Slippery scientist
When we had our house renovated a few years ago I had Cat6 cables run into every room in the house; two in most rooms, 4 in more heavily used ones. I will use ethernet wherever it is possible. Doesn't help here, but smug figbat is smug (:becool:) and if you have the opportunity I would do it.

For wifi I am still using the ISP-provided (Plusnet) router and did find that repositioning it made a big difference to its reach - it is now right in the middle of the house (under-stairs cupboard) and, crucially, mounted high-up, around 2m above the floor. Putting it here made a noticeable improvement to its reach, especially upstairs. Our house is block-walled throughout.

I do like the look of that Nova mesh though and may look into it for decoupling my wifi from the ISP and extending outside/garage coverage. Having Cat6 around the place means I can put wifi extenders wherever I want. (:becool:).

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
This mesh system would be ideal - simple to setup and use. You plug one box into your router and then the other 2 around the house / garage. It sets up a new wifi network for you to replace the one put out by your router. The beauty of this is once you have added your devices to this new network, each time you change ISP you don't need to reconfigure anything.
I don't want to overegg the pudding too much, but I used to be a full time network engineer and have set up and managed many, many wireless networks.

I have never, ever, known a WiFi system that 'just works' or is as stable as this Mesh setup https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...ome-wifi-system-triple-pack-10184407-pdt.html
Thanks guys. You've both mentioned the same system.
On the basis that even an idiot on techy things - like what I is - can set this up I'll get one ordered.
I may be pestering you with PMs though:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks guys. You've both mentioned the same system.
On the basis that even an idiot on techy things - like what I is - can set this up I'll get one ordered.
I may be pestering you with PMs though:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:
They are pretty easy to setup - I would suggest scheduling the automatic nightly reboot though as this seems to clear up any problems you might have. Feel free to PM when you get stuck.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
when mini ck 2 couldnt get wifi in her room i went for the tp ink wifi extender that clones the signal but you connect at the other end to the wifi from the extender , the base unit is connected to the router with a cable so your effectivly connecting directly to the router and it was a good signal, you do lose a bit of mbit as with all the the tp link powerline products but at least she can get full wifi signal , tried the standard plug in boosters but as we have an old house with solid walls they didnt help .

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
as has been mentioned countless times MESH !!! Wish I'd known about it a while back. Stable as a rock in fact could do with buying another unit into the kitchen. Just to cover all the garden with full coverage. I bought Deco units btw .

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I've ordered the mesh units mentioned above. From Amazon. 24 hour delivery. Ordered Tuesday, due here a week tomorrow. Methinks company is in China and is hiding behind an English registered company. Well, not many want to buy from China at present!

For some reason Curry's, as mentioned above, won't deliver and want me to travel 25 miles to their nearest open click and collect store. Plus I have to be there at a set time, and if I'm late then tough luck.

We shall see, but the guys above^^^ reckon this set is the dogs dangles. Time will tell.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Milkfloat @Andrew_Culture
Thanks guys for your help.
The Tenda has arrived and is set up and working - I think.
Seems OK so far. Updates programmed in and coverage in the previuosly weak areas seems vastly improved.
:okay::okay::okay:
Make sure you go to 'settings' and 'Maintenance Schedule' - I would suggest a system reboot every night when you are asleep. A reboot fixes most things, so having one scheduled can make life a lot easier.

Top Bottom