Anyone know this idiot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Oh that tired old response again. Reminds me of the toddler who makes the same whinge and the parent responds "if everyone jumped off a cliff, would you do it?"
You have entirely missed the point, was I unclear in some way?

On an individual level, following the herd is not necessarily always the best strategy. But at a social level, should we not stop and aak ourselves why the herd is jumping off a cliff?

ForestCycle

I am a HGV artic driver of 5 years experience and I cycle mainly offroad.

I have never driven in Central London, which is a different kettle of fish compared to anywhere else.

In my opinion, the driver should have backed off a little - look at his proximity to the cycle AHEAD of the guy who was hit. He was a bit close.

This shows intent to "get on with it". Why? Not necessarily to teach anyone a lesson. Perhaps he was unladen and wanted to finish for the day, maybe he had another job to do, who knows.

Key point - 'mickle' is convinced the driver was aware of the hit cyclist before the impact. I doubt this. I believe that the artics proximity to the cyclist ahead of that guy, indicates that in the DRIVER'S MIND, *that* was the closest cyclist to the artic unit. A human on a bicycle colliding with the passenger door would likely make a driver aware that something has happened.

The drivers angry reaction - most would react like that. It is a confrontation. He is defending himself, possibly feels threatened/scared, but also feels the situation is not of his making. He doesn't seem aggressive to me in the circumstances.

The cyclist is mostly to blame, in that situation with 6+ cyclists, you have to watch your nearside mirror like a hawk, even if it means not paying as much attention to what is ahead of you.

Ultimately haulage companies should expect deliveries/collections in Central London to take a long time, allow for that and not pressure drivers. Drivers should also be pragmatic about making progress through these junctions.

ForestCycle

The driver believed that the cyclist in black lycra was the last of the group to clear the junction. The driver appears to be matching his speed/distance based on that guy.

The hit cyclist in red remains in his blind spot throughout. I do not believe the driver was playing games or trying to prove a point.

Of his 3 nearside mirrors, possibly the cyclist was possibly briefly visible in the side close proximity mirror while stationary at the red light, as soon as the light turns green the cyclist is invisible the entire time.

?temp_hash=bb560414519c5a8e2e7b97b2d918bc07.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 46

Johnno260

Veteran
why risk being squeezed out by a 38ton truck, he is lucky not to be another statistic.

saying it's ok all London cyclist do it isn't an excuse especially when people out of the capital are driving on the roads, it's people like that who give cylists a bad name.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You have entirely missed the point, was I unclear in some way?

On an individual level, following the herd is not necessarily always the best strategy. But at a social level, should we not stop and aak ourselves why the herd is jumping off a cliff?
Or, indeed, why the cliff is present on a public highway.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Every taxi driver is London tries to run me off the road, does that make it right ?
Every? You must be doing something wrong. I get away with every other. ;)

Top Bottom