anyone on here do the mary townley loop yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hi all,

did anybody do the mtl organized thing yesterday? i was sposed to be on it but i have tennis elbow at moment, which is slowly improving, so i didn't want to risk it. it was awful weather around rossendale yesterday.

RedBike

No, but I fancy it again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
RedBike said:
No, but I fancy it again.
I fancy having a go at it some time, but I don't reckon I could get close to you and Trios' 6 hours. It's ages since I did a long MTB ride, so I think the MTL might take me nearer 9 hours.

Bottling out on technical descents doesn't help boost average speed! :blush:

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
well i'm going to do it another 3 times before year end. twice this summer and one deep winter one for the challenge. i reckon my elbow will be sufficiently recovered by then, going off improvement so far. colin i did it anti clockwise in 10 hrs, but i was on for 7 hrs before i blew. i blew because i seriously under estimated how much food to take. how about july 18th?

ColinJ

shauncollier said:
well i'm going to do it another 3 times before year end. twice this summer and one deep winter one for the challenge. i reckon my elbow will be sufficiently recovered by then, going off improvement so far. colin i did it anti clockwise in 10 hrs, but i was on for 7 hrs before i blew. i blew because i seriously under estimated how much food to take. how about july 18th?
Blimey, you're keen - I wouldn't fancy it in winter one little bit! You'd only have about 8 hours of daylight at best and you'd probably be slowed down by snow/ice/mud so some riding in the dark might be required. You could get yourself into difficulties on some of those hills if you had a fall when the weather was bad... :biggrin:

I wouldn't fancy another 3 hours of riding on the MTL after 'bonking'. I very nearly suffered that on Sunday doing the Red Rose Ride on the road and that was bad enough.

Perhaps we ought to try and organise an official CycleChat MTL ride? I think I'm free the weekend of the 18th/19th July.

RedBike said:
I bet you're quicker than me. You have no idea how bad I am!
Well, if we all get together and do a CycleChat MTL ride, we'd find out wouldn't we! ;)

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
yeah i'm defo up for that weekend but i am pretty flexible. i'm single speed now as well. i do want to do it the cw way. did it ccw last time and there is an awful lot of pushing that way round. i'm pretty sure rooley moor is easier that way as well. the winter one will be a gruel no doubt but what an adventure, i will be a heck of a lot fitter by then. i know the hills really well as i ride them a lot, in sections, i do more night riding than day riding, quieter then you see. i've done lee quarry loads of times in the dark, so a winter mtl isn't doesn't seem as daft as you think. plenty of 'outs' most of the way round so wife can come and get me.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
been off the bike for a while because of a sore elbow, about 4 weeks i think. my god my fitness has dropped an unbelievable amount. i really don't think i will be fit enough in time for the agreed weekend for this ride. i'm going to leave it until august. so count me out this time.

has anybody else had a short time off the bike then returned and been astounded by the fitness drop? if so, how long was it before you got back to your previous fitness (not that i was mega fit to start with)?

ColinJ

goodspeed said:
Been going to do the MTL for years and never got around to it so definately up for that Colin. I think I'm free that weekend, Sunday would be better for me!
I'm free on Saturday and Sunday, but currrently the forecast is that it will be dry on Saturday and wet on Sunday! I'm not sure that I'd want to do the MTL in the rain! :smile:

By the way - do you fancy my Malham ride the following week?

Oh, and... we need to make our minds up about the Pendle Pedal too!

goodspeed

Unfortunately I have to work this weekend :biggrin: and I'm not sure if next weekend's free either , Ill let you know if i can make it, sounds like a good ride!

Have'nt entered yet but certainly penned in for the Pendle Pedal, need to get some training in.

trio25

Über Member
Can't make this weekend as missed this thread and have planned a trip to gisburn forest. But the MTL is great, I am also sure me and redbikes took a fair bit longer than 6 hours!

ColinJ

trio25 said:
Can't make this weekend as missed this thread and have planned a trip to gisburn forest. But the MTL is great, I am also sure me and redbikes took a fair bit longer than 6 hours!
Fair enough.

Hey RedBike - shall we put this off to a later weekend and try and organise it properly? There should be at least 5 or 6 of us if we give enough notice.

I'm thinking of:
  • ColinJ
  • RedBike
  • trio25
  • goodspeed
  • shauncollier
And judging from a previous thread maybe these CC members too:
  • Rigid Raider
  • PaulB
  • Cubist
  • (Anyone else who is interested...)

I'm free the last two weekends in September. There would still be plenty of daylight then if we set off at 08:00.

Oh, speaking of Gisburn Forest - my Malham ride is passing through there on the 26th - did you manage to get that Sunday off? :biggrin:

Top Bottom