Anyone recommend an android tab?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
My Wifes birthday is rapidly approaching, and I was thinking of buying her an Android tab.
Thing is, I know absolutely nothing about them.
It would be for internet browsing through wifi, I don't want one that acts as a phone although if she can tether her phone to get 3G internet access it would be very handy.
Wouldn't need masses of storage space, assuming it can hook up to an external drive through USB anyway.

Do they run all the standard phone apps? or are they different for a tab?

So, any recommendations? price is important, obviously the cheaper the better but if nothing is available cheaply then I'll think of something else!

Rumour has the new IPAD out this month....

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Well, I suppose about £300.00 max really, but cheaper the better. That's the rub though, if a reasonable one isn't available for that sort of money, then I won't bother. I'd rather leave it than buy tat.
The Galaxy looks to be fairly decent? but it's over budget anyway if bought in the UK.

I'm still reeling in shock at the ipad suggestion, I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than hand another penny to Apple ;) I'm sick of those theiving, underhanded, power cra... (I'll stop myself there before I launch into an anti Apple rant :blush: )

There's the Advent Vega at £249 from Dixons/Currys/PCWorld which has had some reasonable reviews but they removed flash as it didn't like the graphics chipset and they don't seem to be rushing to release a flash update to handle it. It was one of the first Android tablets to use the Tablet version of Android rather than just using the standard mobile phone variant.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
There's the Advent Vega at £249 from Dixons/Currys/PCWorld which has had some reasonable reviews but they removed flash as it didn't like the graphics chipset and they don't seem to be rushing to release a flash update to handle it. It was one of the first Android tablets to use the Tablet version of Android rather than just using the standard mobile phone variant.

I'll investigate that, thank you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for that, but I'm definately swayed by the Advent. It's got a larger screen, Froyo and pretty good reviews, looks pretty unbeatable for the price actually :thumbsup:

dodgy

I think right now is a bad time to buy a tablet, the market is so busy with new announcements and 'just around the corner' releases. I'd say by the start of March things will be much clearer and a better choice could be made.

Personally I like the look of the Motorola Xoom, latest Android 'made for tablet' OS, fast processor etc.

Sorry, I know this isn't much help :smile:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
No, that is hepful, thank you.
Trouble is, her birthday is in less than two weeks so I'll have to decide soon!

The advent looks the best bet for right now, the only issues it has have work arounds, and it looks as if a new OS will resolve most of those anyway.
Obviously, the day after I buy it, the next generation of tabs will be launched, better, bigger, faster, cheaper etc but that just seems to be the way of the World!

Carwash

Señor Member
I'm still reeling in shock at the ipad suggestion, I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than hand another penny to Apple ;) I'm sick of those theiving, underhanded, power cra... (I'll stop myself there before I launch into an anti Apple rant :blush: )
Easy, tiger. Nobody's forcing you to do anything. :smile:

I have an Archos 101T and am happy with it (got it from Tesco Direct).

I'd wait for Droid 3.0 (Gingerbread Honeycomb)... 2.x was developed for phones. 3.0 promises to be much better (tho there is no release date)

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Easy, tiger. Nobody's forcing you to do anything. :smile:

No, I know ;)
My post probably didn't come over as light hearted as I'd intended, sorry.

[QUOTE 1301159"]
Elonex @ Toysrus £150 http://www.toysrus.c...PC%280082825%29
[/quote]

Thanks Mr P, but battery life looks to be a big issue with that one despite it's bargain price.

I've ordered the Vega now, only problem with that is that it needs a custom ROM flashed to it to access the market place. Looks a bit daunting to someone like me who doesn't know the first thing about it, but I've signed up to the Modaco forum so hopefully I'll get it working with a bit of help.
The other plus with the custom ROM (currently R7) is that it offers significant performance increases and appears to turn it into a real "iPad slayer."
I'll update when/if I get it working, if anyone cares, otherwise I won't bother.

Carwash

Señor Member
CP3PO is apparently reliable, he's a bit annoying though; like this joke ;)

iadioaadl.jpg

Wah, wah, waaah.

Top Bottom