Anyone used to have a British Eagle bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
I did, years ago. I loved it. Spent all my time on it, cleaned it all the time, looked after it well.

Then my parents binned it when they moved and I went to Uni.

So, as you do, Im thinking about if i could buy one like it... you know, for fun. The problem is I dont have a clue what it was called. I know it was a BE bike, it as black all over and it had yellow lettering on the top tube that was something like "ZX" or "XX". 21 gear Shimano STi, rigid (as they all where back then) and had a single water-bottle holder placement.

Anyone out there know about old BE bikes? Vague I know...

My 17 year old commuter bike is a British Eagle, from when they still made proper bikes. Second chain ring, and replacement wheels. No idea how many cassettes or chains. The rest is still original though. I think now the name is just used on cheap Asda/Tesco tat.

Mrs Crackle had a British Eagle tourer. 453 frame, Shimano downtube indexed shifters and decent'ish alloy wheels. She toured Brittany on it. The bars did get slightly bent when I drove under a tree with the bikes on top but nothing a bit of heaving couldn't sort out before she saw it :whistle: In the end it got given to a friend as the drop riding position didn't suit her. Can't remember what model it was but it was a decent bike.

adscrim

Veteran
My borther had a British Eagle pro-carbon mountain bike back in the ealry(ish) 90's. Carbon triangle with alu lugs and stay. My Dad still has the frame in the garage (nice big crack in the top tube) as it's a lovely looking bit if kit and he intends to fix or get fixed with a new tube.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I had a British Eagle Boss mtb in the early 90's. Bought it from my local Asda which was a bit weird but I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Bright yellow oversize ali frame with a humungous down tube bearing enormous BOSS letters in black. Also had a similarly huge Tange steel fork and 1.25" steerer. Was equiped with a full shimano DX groupset which at the time was only surpassed by XT as this was just before XTR was launched.

I do have some pictures of it somewhere that need scanning to bring them into the digital age. If I get chance I will have a look later and try and get one posted here.

asterix

Comrade Member
I've a Touristique wot I got off of ebay for £50. It was to be a hack into town and I used it as a commuter for a couple of years then started doing longer rides on it because I liked it and it is surprisingly quick.

It's now got new wheels, been re-enamelled and been given a 9-speed cassette in place of the 6 speed freewheel. It also has Schmidt dynamo lighting. Next upgrade will be a new triple chainset as I can't get the right BCD rings for old double.

Goldie

Über Member
Someone is selling the exact model I used to have on eBay, currently at 99p. :whistle:

Buy it!

I've got a BE Inferno - sounds similar to yours, apart from the dramatic green into yellow fade paint job. Reynolds 501, Shimano 200 GS, free from a bloke who was about to throw it into the tip. I absolutely love it. Even though the front brake cable snapped with a "Twang!" today...

Steff

Hi I'm new to this forum, still have my black British Eagle 101/5 Kinetic 531 frame, only new seat and rear back wheel. Use it on my turbo trainer, fab bike but not built for hills, 10speed only
got me fit enough for the Pembroke 100mile tour last April!!! I'm trying to find a seat post for it that will aloow improved seat adjustment. Local bike dealer says the seat post diameter is different to modern bikes

Rog 22545

Hi, I have a british eagle, pre coventry eagle, I don't know the model. It's a beautiful lightweight bike I have trimmed down the weight to 10. kilos, added triple chainset and seven speed gear with mega gear. just ridden up mont ventoux! and I am no spring chicken. Out and about in sunny pemb's when possible. Have replaced drops with ultra light flats
Hi I'm new to this forum, still have my black British Eagle 101/5 Kinetic 531 frame, only new seat and rear back wheel. Use it on my turbo trainer, fab bike but not built for hills, 10speed only
got me fit enough for the Pembroke 100mile tour last April!!! I'm trying to find a seat post for it that will aloow improved seat adjustment. Local bike dealer says the seat post diameter is different to modern bikes
I might have one in my shed, will look tomorrow.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There are loads of different sized (length and diameter) seat-posts available on Wiggle, CRC etc.

Here:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts-rigid-dept292_pg1/#page=1&page=1&order=PRICE ASCENDING

Some come in different diameters, you have to click on them and select size..

Top Bottom