Anyone using an SSD with Windows XP?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheule

I'm about to upgrade SWMBO's dual-core for a quad-core at the end of the week, and to make it even quicker for her I'm adding an OCZ Vertex 2E SSD into the mix. The only thing is, she still runs apps mostly reliant on XP and doesn't want to jump on the W7 bandwagon just yet.

Will I be ok using this? Heard many conflicting things about 512byte and 4k compatibility etc...

rusky

CC Addict
I would stick with a HDD as XP doesn't have the SSD support that W7 has, especially as the OCZ Vertex 2E is MLC rather than SLC.

delport

just using a 4gb ssd with windows xp service pack 3, i have an asus eeepc, 4gb drive was built in, i have no issues, netbooks aren't serious computers mind you.

I also use a 4gb sd card with it.

just jim

just using a 4gb ssd with windows xp service pack 3, i have an asus eeepc, 4gb drive was built in, i have no issues, netbooks aren't serious computers mind you.

I also use a 4gb sd card with it.

I was thinking about an XP install on my 701 - how straightforward was it? I upgraded the ram in prep, but got put off a bit!

delport

I was thinking about an XP install on my 701 - how straightforward was it? I upgraded the ram in prep, but got put off a bit!

As the asus eee pc has no dvd drive i decided to create one, i used a spare ide hard drive enclosure, and a spare pc dvd drive,hard drive enclosures will have a sata or an ide connection, simply unplug the harddrive and connect up the dvd drive.

I set the asus bios to boot from dvd drive, no issues, and i had created a slimline xp disc of around 300mb, minus all the things that a netbook doesn't require, all the language files for example, printer stuff, everything i didn't feel i needed i removed from the xp disc before burning it.If you don't want to create your own disc look for things like tiny xp.There is actually a special xp installl for the eeepc that is only 90mb in size.

The install was very smooth, i then ran the asus driver cd and installed any missing drivers.
The netbook runs fine, no crashes.
I have 512mb ddr memory installed.

The asus comes with Linux preinstallled, i wasn't keen on linux as i want to use autoroute on the netbook when i go out cycling.

delport

Thank you delport - I am fond of the little 701, will have a look at tiny XP!

Jim

Look for a free software called nlite
http://www.nliteos.com/
to create your own operating system disc.
Minus all the stuff that doesn't need to be installed.It will create a slimline disc for you, and is fairly easy to use i felt.

I forgot to say, i used the usb port to connect the external drive, the bios recognised a dvd drive had been plugged into the usb port and i booted in that way.

BenM

Veteran
A little bit of thread resurrection but I have been using a Dell laptop with XP and a 40Gb SSD for a couple of years with no issue.

GrasB

Veteran
+10 to what BenM said... that's 10 Lenovo X300 with 64GB SSDs that have running XP Pro for 3 years or more at work & some of our staff members hammer their laptops.

Top Bottom