Anyone with a Huawei phone?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Due to Google having to comply with a US ruling which stops companies from supplying certain items to Chinese firms Huawei cannot continue to use Android of Google apps.
This is the latest in a line of measures that Trump has introduced in his trade war with China if I understand correctly.
Very worrying for anyone who has spent his hardearned on a huawei phone although existing devices will continue to be supported but for how long?
Just have to hope common sense will prevail and the licence to use the android OS will be restored.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's open source so I suspect Huwaei will sort out their own version, but access to 'apps' will be an issue.

Thing is, quite a few of the phone's components are American...

stowie

Legendary Member
It's open source so I suspect Huwaei will sort out their own version, but access to 'apps' will be an issue.

Thing is, quite a few of the phone's components are American...
Huawei have said they have been developing a "plan B" OS for seven years which they can roll out onto smartphones, tablets and PCs. But for smartphones without the app ecosystem they are going to really struggle. It is possible that their core Asia markets will see take up if they manage to port enough apps for this region, but a global reach would seem very challenging.

On the other hand, this entire debacle has sent a clear message to a lot of manufacturers. They cannot rely upon US tech to always be available. I wonder if an unintended consequence may be a fragmentation of the market again as manufacturers try to limit exposure. I would imagine China won't want to be in a position where their key companies are under such pressure again.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Losing Android is surmountable, losing their chip manufacturers is a lot harder to deal with. I predict parallel standards emerging over the next few years, which will not be good for the consumer.

stowie

Legendary Member
Remind me what this Huawei problem is again.... A security breach or someone told me they are way ahead in 5g technology and need to be given some obstacles so other companies can catch up.
Trump has ratcheted up the trade war with China by the US government effectively "blacklisting" Huawei. The upshot of putting them on the naughty step is that US companies need a special license to deal with Huawei. The US did the same with ZTE for a bit. Google has suspended activities with Huawei although it appears they will still provide security updates and support for the phones already sold and being used. Intel, Qualcomm and Broadcom are backing away from them. ARM (UK based, Japan owned), whose processor IP is the core of pretty much every smartphone and tablet available today announced they were disengaging relationships.

Of course, one of the unintended consequences of this is that US chip giants like Qualcomm are suffering share price drops (about 10% I think) on this disruption. Which is possibly one motivation why the US have granted a 90 day extension before the ban comes into force.

How much this has to do with security and how much is Trump wanting to turn the screw in the China trade negotiations is up for debate. Although I would class myself as being on the cynical side of that equation.

AndyRM

XOXO
I have a Huawei. It works just fi

OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Losing Android is surmountable, losing their chip manufacturers is a lot harder to deal with. I predict parallel standards emerging over the next few years, which will not be good for the consumer.
I'd say it's the other way around. Huawei already has its own processor in the Kirin chip sets and could eventually produce all the hardware it needs itself but I don't think the consumer would take very readily to a new OS given their reliance and familiarity with Android and the App Store.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My kids have Huawei phones as they are good value compared to Samsung, Sony, Apple etc. I was circumspect re spying claims and what info the Chinese would gleen of interest from a couple of yoofs smart phone habits are debatable. However my view has changed somewhat re general risks re 5g and Chinese providers when the company where my brother works reverse engineered a Chinese electronic device and found out periodically was sending data back to China.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'd say it's the other way around. Huawei already has its own processor in the Kirin chip sets and could eventually produce all the hardware it needs itself but I don't think the consumer would take very readily to a new OS given their reliance and familiarity with Android and the App Store.
I partly agree, building an OS is fairly trivial, in fact they have been doing so since 2012. Yes they can eventually build entirely Chinese hardware (and IP), but they don't. The OS really is pretty easy, the ecosystem around it is the problem. I speak as an ex-Nokia employee where we learnt first hand how you can have a great OS, but without the Apps you are dead.

Top Bottom