Anyone with a vagina - cervical screening campaign

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by LinchPin, 29 Jun 2019.

1. LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

There was a time we knew the word the article was trying to say but these days it’s not the done thing to say.

But the weird thing is Men are still able to be talked about as my friend here points out.

When do we stop talking about people based on their possession of certain body parts ?

2. bladderhead

bladderhead Well-Known Member

I don't think I talk about people in that way. Although I do talk out of my bum.

Dayvo and Andy in Germany like this.
  3. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

One is a news report about a new test being developed to detect prostate cancer. The other is a campaign speaking directly to those who have a cervix encouraging them to go for smear tests.
    What I do not understand is why it is often men (those born male) who get so worked up about the use of language in these cases. If you do not have a cervix why does it bother you. Why not ask trans men and non binary people what language they would like campaigns to use to include them and leave it at that?

Dayvo, Glow worm, Edwardoka and 2 others like this.
  4. Slick

Slick Veteran

I'm obviously missing something but surely we can speak about different cancers affecting us by sex? Or have I missed the point?

What I do know is screening for females is imperative as Mrs Slick was found to have precancerous cells and received the appropriate treatment for which I'll be eternally grateful.

Also, I am too well aware of prostate cancer and what it can do, but mostly we can live with it to such an extent it probably isn't what kills us.

5. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

This. 100% this.

6. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Cervical cancer needs talking about more. The vaccine has done wonders, but smear tests still exist, are used and concern women. The anti vaccine campaigners are also slowing down progress.

Prostrate cancer needs way more research and to make the big breakthrough in non-invasive and accurate diagnosis and to be talked about more. I understand there is some promising stuff on the horizon.

7. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

It's a great video encouraging people with a cervix to go and get a smear test. And as a person with a cervix, I've got better things to get worked up about than whether I'm called a person, a girl, a woman, a lass, a lady or a tramp. Sorry @LinchPin.

AuroraSaab, Pat "5mph", Dayvo and 4 others like this.
  8. Ian H

Ian H I am an ancient randonneur, & I stop often for tea

It reminds me of the man who took a theatre to court alleging that their poster was obscene and he didn't want his daughter exposed to that kind of thing. They were advertising the Vagina Monologues.

alicat likes this.
  9. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Exactly. And saying "people with a vagina" is not going to make any woman more or less likely to go for their smear. However if it makes a trans man or non binary person any more likely to go for theirs that is a good thing. Those without vaginas/cervixes can just butt out!

AndyRM likes this.
  10. winjim

winjim Iron pony

Prostate/butt. Insert joke.

11. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

On purpose

alicat and winjim like this.
  12. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

^^^ Oi! That's not what I'd call a joke.

13. winjim

winjim Iron pony

It's hard work being a trainee proctologist. You have to start at the bottom.

alicat likes this.
  14. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

IMO, as well as being inclusive, it's also more likely to make people pause while scrolling than if it just started 'Women'

Diogenes and Julia9054 like this.
  15. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Mod Note:
    Let's forget the OP's agenda, the topic merits attention.
    I will delete digs at the OP and amend the title for clarity.
    End Mod note.

Last time I went for my smear, reluctantly as usual, I was told that if you are a virgin (with a vagina, of course), the test is not necessary.
    I didn't know that!

Spinney and Slick like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice