Anyone with a vagina - cervical screening campaign

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by LinchPin, 29 Jun 2019.

1. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Related to that idea, in theory there should be mileage in testing for HPV in a two stage process instead of invasive smear test. Got told by someone that idea was being investigated. No idea where it's at, anyone know? Perhaps with further drops as the HPV vaccinated population ages maybe it'll mature/come about.

theclaud likes this.
  2. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Yes. Primary HPV testing to be rolled out across England next year

theclaud and marinyork like this.
  3. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

That's cool. In the meantime these videos talking about it were good.

4. Woman. The word we're tiptoeing around is 'woman' . Meanwhile transwomen are insisting on having access to NHS cervical smear tests.

LinchPin likes this.
  5. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Most women have cervixes. Some trans men have cervixes. Some non binary people have cervixes.
    I assume you do not have a cervix. Why does it bother you what language is used to persuade those who have cervixes being encouraged to go for smear tests?

AndyRM likes this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Surely there must be people with a vagina who don't have a cervix?

7. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Which is why i said most women. If you have had a total hysterectomy, you do not have a cervix. If you have had a total hysterectomy you do not need a smear test.

8. slowmotion

So why use the possession of a vagina as a reason for having a smear test?

9. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

It's a campaign and a catchy way of attracting people. Everyone knows what a vagina is. I bet there are adults who don't know what a cervix is - even those who have them.

slowmotion likes this.
  10. slowmotion

Fair point. Is there going to be campaign " Do you have a dick? Get your prostate checked!"

11. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjatueq1I_jAhVWD2MBHUIgC6UQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xdmyjn/almost-half-of-british-women-cant-correctly-locate-the-vagina-or-cervix&psig=AOvVaw3jAUjkS6RLq3pNgnPbzt1E&ust=1561930945881503
    Article highlighting our woeful lack of knowledge of our own anatomy
    Unfortunately there is no a reliable screening test for prostate cancer which is why we do not have a national screening programme. When we do, we will need to think about using inclusive language to make sure that all people with prostates take it up

12. Crackle

Crackle ..

Where've you been slomo

13. OP
    OP
    LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

But why change the language used for the majority so that a small minority feel included?

I agree I don't have a cervix but I notice that there seems to be more of a push against the definitions of being a woman than there of a man.

14. winjim

winjim Iron pony

Enough now...

15. OP
    OP
    LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

That's OK I guess the campaign knows its demographic and saying "women" might have confused some people.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice