Anyone with a vagina - cervical screening campaign

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Last time I went for my smear, reluctantly as usual, I was told that if you are a virgin (with a vagina, of course), the test is not necessary.
I didn't know that!
Related to that idea, in theory there should be mileage in testing for HPV in a two stage process instead of invasive smear test. Got told by someone that idea was being investigated. No idea where it's at, anyone know? Perhaps with further drops as the HPV vaccinated population ages maybe it'll mature/come about.

Julia9054

Guru
Related to that idea, in theory there should be mileage in testing for HPV in a two stage process instead of invasive smear test. Got told by someone that idea was being investigated. No idea where it's at, anyone know? Perhaps with further drops as the HPV vaccinated population ages maybe it'll mature/come about.
Yes. Primary HPV testing to be rolled out across England next year

Julia9054

Guru
Woman. The word we're tiptoeing around is 'woman' . Meanwhile transwomen are insisting on having access to NHS cervical smear tests.
Most women have cervixes. Some trans men have cervixes. Some non binary people have cervixes.
I assume you do not have a cervix. Why does it bother you what language is used to persuade those who have cervixes being encouraged to go for smear tests?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Most women have cervixes. Some trans men have cervixes. Some non binary people have cervixes.
I assume you do not have a cervix. Why does it bother you what language is used to persuade those who have cervixes being encouraged to go for smear tests?
Surely there must be people with a vagina who don't have a cervix?

Julia9054

Guru
So why use the possession of a vagina as a reason for having a smear test?
It's a campaign and a catchy way of attracting people. Everyone knows what a vagina is. I bet there are adults who don't know what a cervix is - even those who have them.

Julia9054

Guru
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjatueq1I_jAhVWD2MBHUIgC6UQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xdmyjn/almost-half-of-british-women-cant-correctly-locate-the-vagina-or-cervix&psig=AOvVaw3jAUjkS6RLq3pNgnPbzt1E&ust=1561930945881503
Article highlighting our woeful lack of knowledge of our own anatomy
Fair point. Is there going to be campaign " Do you have a dick? Get your prostate checked!"
Unfortunately there is no a reliable screening test for prostate cancer which is why we do not have a national screening programme. When we do, we will need to think about using inclusive language to make sure that all people with prostates take it up

OP
LinchPin

LinchPin

Veteran
One is a news report about a new test being developed to detect prostate cancer. The other is a campaign speaking directly to those who have a cervix encouraging them to go for smear tests.
What I do not understand is why it is often men (those born male) who get so worked up about the use of language in these cases. If you do not have a cervix why does it bother you. Why not ask trans men and non binary people what language they would like campaigns to use to include them and leave it at that?
But why change the language used for the majority so that a small minority feel included?

I agree I don't have a cervix but I notice that there seems to be more of a push against the definitions of being a woman than there of a man.

winjim

Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjatueq1I_jAhVWD2MBHUIgC6UQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xdmyjn/almost-half-of-british-women-cant-correctly-locate-the-vagina-or-cervix&psig=AOvVaw3jAUjkS6RLq3pNgnPbzt1E&ust=1561930945881503
Article highlighting our woeful lack of knowledge of our own anatomy

Unfortunately there is no a reliable screening test for prostate cancer which is why we do not have a national screening programme. When we do, we will need to think about using inclusive language to make sure that all people with prostates take it up
Enough now...

OP
LinchPin

LinchPin

Veteran
It's a great video encouraging people with a cervix to go and get a smear test. And as a person with a cervix, I've got better things to get worked up about than whether I'm called a person, a girl, a woman, a lass, a lady or a tramp. Sorry @LinchPin.
That's OK I guess the campaign knows its demographic and saying "women" might have confused some people.

Top Bottom