Anyone with a vagina - cervical screening campaign

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by LinchPin, 29 Jun 2019.

1. "Meanwhile TRANSWOMEN are insisting on having cervical smear tests" .

The reason this concerns me, as it should you, is that NHS services are under pressure and resources shouldn't be wasted. I don't need to be in possession of a cervix to hold this view.

AuroraSaab likes this.
  2. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Evidence that this is more than one or two bonkers people.
    What is more of a concern is that trans men who are registered as men with their GP are not invited to screening and have to request it and trans women registered as women are not invited to screening appropriate for their biology.
    This despite the fact that - since they are likely taking hormones - their surgery cannot be unaware that they are trans and of what screening they actually need.

AndyRM and mickle like this.
  3. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Sigh
    So that the small minority ARE (not feel) included. No woman feels excluded by this language

alicat and Mugshot like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

You've spoken to them all have you ?
    Or are you unable to search google/twitter because there's lots of non activist types kicking off on the subject.

This seems more of a campaign to erase what it means to be a woman than be inclusive.

mickle likes this.
  5. bladderhead

bladderhead Well-Known Member

Just seems like common sense to me. A cervix can get cancer. So if you've got one you should get it tested. There is evidence that some people have one and do not know what it is, but it usually is paired with a vagina, and most people know what that is, so say "vagina". Just logical.

Spinney likes this.
  6. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

I realise that it is not a huge sample size but two women on this thread have said that it is not a problem. The rest is just a lot of noise by men (as usual)
    Do you have any evidence that the phrase "people with a vagina " is going to put women off going for cervical screening ?

alicat likes this.
  7. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

As a man, i would suggest that your views on what it means to be a woman are largely irrelevant

Spinney likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

No evidence of it putting off women going for a cervical screening but as you've mentioned people are fairly ignorant of their anatomy but they usually know whether they're male or female.

mickle likes this.
  9. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

So the language is not a problem then

10. OP
    OP
    LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

and yet if I transitioned next year to a woman then I'd always have been a woman even now, which would make you doubly wrong.

You don't have to be something to empathise with being that thing.
    Unless of course now one should stay in one's lane.

mickle likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

You'd have to run another campaign with "Women don't forget to have your regular smear test" to see the difference.

Exactly how many people would get upset if it said "Women" instead ?

But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.
    George Orwell

The twitter mentions mentions Women

The linked article says
    Individuals from the age of 25 are invited for screening every three years. Those aged 50 to 64 are invited every five years.​
    ie trying hard not to say Women.

Cath Leng is a BBC journalist.

mickle likes this.
  12. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

That one has been tried for many years.

Hold off answering the phone for that large consultancy fee for the idea for a while.

13. OP
    OP
    LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

Damn I thought I was onto a winner with the old classic classification, give it another 20 years and it'll be a revolutionary concept.

mickle likes this.
  14. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

If I have got the terminology correct, then a trans woman does not have a cervix. Are they really so ignorant of their own biology* that they insist on tests on a body part they do not have? I don't suppose the NHS wastes that much time for the receptionists telling such patients the reason why they do not need/cannot have this test.

* this ignorance seems very unlikely to me given what they would have had to go through to become a trans woman.

C R, AndyRM and Julia9054 like this.
  15. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

You, me & Alicat = 3
    Still a small sample but 100% of the women in this thread (I think!)

Moodyman, C R, Pat "5mph" and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice