Anyone with a vagina - cervical screening campaign

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by LinchPin, 29 Jun 2019.

1. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey Nearly 63 - oh dear! Moderator

Moot point is that if a campaign with high impact gets more people who have a cervix into the screening program and saves some lives, then it's job done imo.

In a way it is sad that Vagina is considered a shock word in this day and age.

The take up rate is appallingly low for smear tests especially amongst young people, who are at highest risk, and we need to do all we can to get at risk people to get over there hang-ups (genital appearance & smell when I read a NHS report some while back) and tbh even if the use of the C word, with much more shock value, in advertising is what it takes to achieve this than so be it. I'd rather there be a hundred 'Offended of Tunbridge Wells' in a fret than one dead person whose life could've been saved.

The debate over terminology use is a non-starter for me - the real debate is why people do not take up all the NHS screening opportunities available to them and what should be done to increase uptake rates.

Pat "5mph" and Diogenes like this.
  2. winjim

winjim Iron pony

I don't know but I could imagine that some people would see the test as part of the experience of being a woman so might wish to have it done, or a version of it, as part of that.

3. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

And me, I'm not put off by the lingo either.
    I'm put off by the actual test!
    Still go, though: I figure that if the NHS makes the effort to organize a nation wide screen at no cost to us, we should attend.
    As a non UK national, I know well that women on the continent have to pay for most gynecological checks.

SpokeyDokey, Spinney and Julia9054 like this.
  4. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Make that 5 women. The test isn’t especially pleasant but better than the potential alternative of having undetected late stage cervical cancer

5. "Make that 5 cervix havers." surely?

6. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

This one of the five is perfectly happy to be identified as a woman, thank you.

7. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

As am I. My identity as a woman is also not somehow threatened by the use of language that includes trans men with cervixes.

8. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

Yep, me too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice