Are my legs wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, I've been riding a lot for the last three years (11,000 miles in the last two calendar years) and I'm in reasonable shape. However my legs feel stiff, bulky and solid, rather than the highly toned, limber and loose. Any tips or advice?

Please don't mention fixed as a biff up the bottom bracket often offends...:ohmy:xx(

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Mine too. God knows I ride enough, legs look shite.

rikgrimsby

Dayvo said:
Can't offer a scientific reply, BUT it might be because you're grinding the gears, instead of spinning them. Think Lance Armstrong v Jan Ullrich!
spinning? grinding? explan please

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Dayvo said:
Can't offer a scientific reply, BUT it might be because you're grinding the gears, instead of spinning them. Think Lance Armstrong v Jan Ullrich!
A sensible answer! :blush:
Might be, but I don't do twiddly. My main ride is a 46x18 single speed, which isn't exactly a monster gear. I've been riding that for most of the last year, if I was riding with gears then I'd probably be in a much higher gear/lower cadence than that.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Mine are neither bulky, nor stiff, solid, toned, limber or loose. They're pale and look like the legs of the stereotypical "before" weakling in one of those 50s ads for chest expanders etc.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
My legs look just fine (I wish the rest of me was as fat free and well muscled!) but they feel tight, lumpy and stiff. A blunt instrument rather than a stiletto, if you will.

Brock

You want stiletto legs?

rikgrimsby said:
spinning? grinding? explan please

Spinning = pedalling at a fast(er) cadence in a low(er) gear

Grinding = pedalling at a slow(er) cadence in a high(er) gear.

Lance spinned/spanned/spun (:blush:) up hills in a fast cadence and was out of his saddle, whereas Big Jan stayed seated and powered his way up through brute force.

Spinning burns more calories (hence its popularity as an indoor fitness activity) and helps develop leaner muscle - a bit like a comparison between sprinters and long-distance runners: explosive power versus endurance.

Or: If you sit on a chair and lift a heavyish weight with your legs, do you see the finely toned muscles which you desire to always see? If so, then reducing the 'pinch more than inch factor' will bring that out. If not, did you ever, in any part of your anatomy (be honest here and not smutty either) see the tonage you are looking for in your legs? If so, spin more and/or lose weight.

If not.........genetics dear boy, genetics.

Top Bottom