Are the EU being Shellfish?

Rocky

Reprobate
Cod not have put it better myself....
There’s a time and a plaice for jokes like that

Kajjal

Veteran
So in other words an arrangement exactly the same as the EU. So EU = BAD because BREXIT.
This is the main problem the UK has rather than objectively choosing the best deal and refining it to work better the UK currently is far too blinkered towards who not what it is.

But that is complicated and takes time which the UK and EU didn't have.
I don't think this was the driver.

It is more that we explicitly chose to be as separate as possible whilst maintaining zero tariffs on exports to the EU. That raises non-tariff barriers such as this, but gives us more freedom to set our own regulations.

It was a deliberate choice on our part, not a time issue. And I recall seeing documentation pointing out the consequences, which we chose to accept.

the snail

Guru
What's even more laughable is that the UK Government won't join the European Free Market Trade Area cos Brexit, but will apply to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans=Pacific Partnership (CPTPP). Why laughable? Because:-

So in other words an arrangement exactly the same as the EU. So EU = BAD because BREXIT.
Surely we can export our shellfish to the Solomon Islands? Problem solved.

Grant Fondo

Oswalds legs look strangely human?
Apparently the EU spokesman clammed up when asked if negotiations were going whelk.

Why are people still so enamoured of an organisation that behaves so badly?
We helped to write the rules when we were members...

Still on the plus side, money to be made for someone who sets up shellfish purification business in the UK.
As I understand it, the UK's shellfish trade is too small to make this viable, which is why we took them to the EU to be cleaned... because we were inside the common market and the customs zone, so that wasn't a problem...

Treaty of Rome:
"DESIRING to contribute, by means of a common commercial policy, to the progressive
abolition of restrictions on international trade,"

Not really sticking to the spirit of their own foundation document are they?
Um... progressive abolition of restrictions on international trade within the EU.

Which we decided we didn't want; so we left.

If a country decides to leave then the Treaty of Rome doesn't apply. That's why we left wasn't it?

Still, you won, celebrate...

Last edited:

shep

Veteran
But I suspect he knows more about the ins and outs of Brexit than you or I, and he’s unhappy with the deal he helped to broker.
I'm sure he does and he is but its immaterial. I'm not moaning nor are my friends because we weighed up the potential outcome and voted how we saw fit.

He did the same and isn't happy with the results, dropped a bolloc*!

My point is all leavers aren't moaning and you're only ever going to hear about the one's that are and the remainers will only ever crow about those.

I'm here as the voice of the other side, loads voted leave and still think its ok, you just don't see them going on about it because its unimportant to them.

OP
icowden

icowden

Über Member
I'm here as the voice of the other side, loads voted leave and still think its ok, you just don't see them going on about it because its unimportant to them.
Quite agree. The hedge fund managers, traders etc aren't too concerned. Just a shame about the manual workers for the car industry, fishermen etc.
Still - as long as you are OK, that's what matters right?

shep

Veteran
Quite agree. The hedge fund managers, traders etc aren't too concerned. Just a shame about the manual workers for the car industry, fishermen etc.
Still - as long as you are OK, that's what matters right?
Don't get arsey pal, I'm a manual worker just like most so don't pull that one. Lad works in a Prison and Daughter in a school. Mates are all similar. Bored to death of all the cr*p about it's ok for you then, nothing has changed for millions of people i bet.

Top Bottom