Are there any bicycle helmets that won't make me look stupid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cool_Mint

The problem is that the helmets I've seen so far are all about 50% of the height of my face so when I put one on it looks like I'm wearing a Top Hat.

to give you some idea, try making a circle with your arms over your head like a ballet dancer - that's where the top of the helmet is on my head. It's freaking awful, I look like a child wearing an adult helmet! :biggrin:

I know the argument, but if you saw me in a helmet you'd have to think twice. Are there any helmets that have a lower profile?

wafflycat

Perhaps this is stating the obvious.. but if an adult hat looks too big - have you sized your head in case a child-sized lid is a better fit?

That just cracked me up! :biggrin:

I guess all helmets have that effect - to a lesser or greater extent.
Pehaps you could get a penny farthing and don the real thing (top hat)?!!

Might be worth going to a decent bike shop and trying as many in the range as possible. You should as a minimum ensure it's the right size (circumference) so it doesn't sit 'proud'.

Good luck - and watch out for low bridges.

aJohnson

Try on different helmets. I used to have a Trek helmet which made my head with it on look like a mushroom, the same when I tried Giro helmets, I've recently bought a Met helmet which fits my head much better.

OP
OP
C

Cool_Mint

TY Chris and Waffly. :biggrin:

I think my head size is about 56 (I used to ride motorcycles) so I'm just on the border between medium and large.

I read on another website 5 minutes ago (I did a search for "bicycle helmet too tall") that you can take out part of the lining in bicycle helmets; does anyone know any more about that? I don't want to splash out a ton of money on a helmet and then accidentally destroy it.

OP
OP
C

Cool_Mint

aJohnson said:
Try on different helmets. I used to have a Trek helmet which made my head with it on look like a mushroom, the same when I tried Giro helmets, I've recently bought a Met helmet which fits my head much better.

That sounds promising, I'll look for a shop selling Met helmets. :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Are there any bicycle helmets that won't make me look stupid? No, think about if you really need one, next question...

Lets start at the beginning.....

1. Shape - some helmets fit oval heads, some fit elongated heads, and as above you will only find this out by trial and error - try on as many as you can.
2. Fit - some helmets have a "fitting system" a band (or bands) that can be tightened or loosened to tune the fit - again trial and error.
3. Pads - these are essential if the helmet is to be comfortable, removing them means hard polystyrene against the head (and spiky velcro as above). Some helmets have differing thickness pads which again allow fine tuning, but the more ventilated the helmet, the less this is possible.
4. Cost - don't make any assumptions whatsoever a this stage - try on everything and then once you know what works, then look at the range available that is similar
5. Standards - All UK helmets should be marked EN1078, but this is not a particularly high standard. Look for CSPC or Snell certification as these are helmets tested to a tougher standard
6. Weird heads! - There is a US site Bicycle helmet Safety Institute that gives suggestions as to which helmets are better for big, small and odd shaped heads.

Sorry for the length, or if I am telling you things you know, but if you have decided to wear a helmet, then it is worth taking the time to make sure you are happy with it's fit and comfort before buying.

thomas

the tank engine
Don't want to look stupid? How about:

31LjE27d%2BSL.jpg

:laugh: joke

Tynan

Veteran
I don't thnk they're ever going to actually look good, maybe ok if you can like lycra and very bright colours

Top Bottom