Argh! No! Oops! Oh, OK then...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

electricdave

Felt like a twerp this morning.
Left my studio and walked down the corridor to get a coffee, glancing at the place in the corner where I leave my bike.
Bike not there.
Agh!.... it's been nicked!! :blush:

Only then did I remember that it's not there because I walked in today, as I brought my baby daughter into work with me. What made it worse was that I was carrying her in my arms at the time! :rolleyes:

My wife calls this sort of thing 'nappy brain'...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
not as bad as days when i've left the locker key at home and have to sit around the office in lycra while mrs alecetc brings the key david cameron style in the car :blush: :rolleyes:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Ever get the converse of this, where you go into town and lock your bike up, then go shopping on foot.

Later, you think, Hey, there's a bike just like mine... yeah, same size and everything.. Oh. it is mine.

Gavin Gilbert

Or cycling from your office in Farnborough to the train station, and then sitting on a train to Surbiton, and then cycling from Surbiton to Acton - only to discover your flat keys are still in your desk in Farnborough :rolleyes:

Then cycling to your Grannys (who has your spare key) only to remember that Granny is in Milton Keynes visiting your Aunt :laugh:

Que - a ride back to Surbiton, a train to Farnborough......in late November, in the rain :blush:

My bike lock key now live on the same keyring as my house keys :thumbsup:

Keith Oates

Janner
Did a similar thing in China, cycled home on the longer 23 Km ride and no keys, then cycled back the direct 10 Km to the office and no keys. Searched the backpack again and there were the keys in a section that I normally never used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Just be thankful you didn't bring the bike and leave the baby at home.
A male friend of mine has twice left his child behind on a train platform, him getting on the train and it pulling away, then frantic moments whie he waited at next station for a train back, whilst hopelessly trying to phone the right person at BR for those "I left my kid on the platform at X station" calls. (THere isn't a dedicated phone line for this, funnily enough)! Needless to say, his missus won't let him take the kid out alone any more! On both occasions, the great British public has come up trumps, looking after the kid, and not being too harsh on my very flustered/embarrassed mate... He's an academic, it almost goes without saying!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Took my bike on a train to Borth once. It’s at the end of the world on a little single-track line, with a rattly diesel railcar running back and forth from Shrewsbury. (Well, it was then). I was starting a tour, so I had full panniers. Naturally, the lift at the station I started from wasn’t working, so I had taken them off and made two journeys over the footbridge and onto the train, one with the bike, then back for the heavy panniers.

When the train got to Borth, I leapt up, threw the bike out onto the platform, then dashed back onto the train to get the panniers. One of the hooks had got caught in the luggage rack, and by the time I’d got it free (all of about twenty seconds), we were off again – leaving my bike behind unlocked and unattended on the platform!

I had an excruciating hour or so travelling on to Aberystwyth, waiting for the train to turn around and going back to Borth.

My bike was still there, and it was a great holiday after that!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
joebe said:
Unfortunately my nappy brain failed last night when I put the baby to bed without a nappy on.

It was a mess, but luckily I had already left for work......
alecetc jr III is wearing those multilayered reusable nappies, and guess who forgot to put the waterproof outer on…

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Nappies...ha ha ha ha ha....never again.... 1993 till 2003 was filled with nappies... the thought of ever having to do that again.... paid my dues, done the poo stuff....getting my life back! :blush:

Big T

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
Took my bike on a train to Borth once. It’s at the end of the world on a little single-track line, with a rattly diesel railcar running back and forth from Shrewsbury. (Well, it was then). I was starting a tour, so I had full panniers. Naturally, the lift at the station I started from wasn’t working, so I had taken them off and made two journeys over the footbridge and onto the train, one with the bike, then back for the heavy panniers.

When the train got to Borth, I leapt up, threw the bike out onto the platform, then dashed back onto the train to get the panniers. One of the hooks had got caught in the luggage rack, and by the time I’d got it free (all of about twenty seconds), we were off again – leaving my bike behind unlocked and unattended on the platform!

I had an excruciating hour or so travelling on to Aberystwyth, waiting for the train to turn around and going back to Borth.

My bike was still there, and it was a great holiday after that!

I used to cycle to the station and catch the train to work. One day, I forgot my cycle lock, so I thought, I'll take my front wheel out and take it to work with me - at least no-one will be able to ride off on my bike. Get on the train and get changed in the toilet as usual. get off the train, completely forgetting front wheel stowed in the luggage rack. Only realise as the train is already pulling out of the station, with my wheel still aboard.

I went to see the station manager who phoned down the line and got someone to retrieve my wheel and send it back. I picked it up on my way home that evening!

Top Bottom