argos selling a fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's a LINK

Norm

I quite like the look of the frame, although the stem is a bit agricultural. Steel frame could be good, although no hint about the quality of the steel but at 11kg, the words "gas pipe" come to mind.

I'm not sure how good the braking surfaces would be, as the wheels appear to be shiny gloss paint but the photo shows the brake blocks level with the tyres rather than the rims, which, if true, will quickly make for an expensive blow-out.

Jonathing

Über Member
Looks like it's out of stock everywhere.

At 11kg it's hardly the best advertisement for lightweight fixed bikes, however it's probably the lightest bike in the Argos catalogue by about 100kg! I can imagine it'll make an interesting hack bike but little more than that. Do I sound like a snob?

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Far too few spokes for what must be cheap wheels. I wouldn't trust them. The rims in the pic look bad, and having a painted braking surface may look nice out of the box, but will look appalling after any serious braking.

Saying that it looks far better than I expected, and for a new rider wanting to try a fixed gear bike is probably perfect if you're on a budget, and it could lead them to investing in something more expensive (when it falls apart).

I was expecting track style bars to be honest.

Argos have clearly spotted a gap in the market, for low cost cycling on what they probably see as a fashion bike, and they know that their customers like a bargain. It's got a year's guarentee, so you should be fairly well protected when it falls apart. Whether it's a BSO or a stroke of genius by Argos is anyones guess. However, I wouldn't touch it with Smokeysmoo's barge pole.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Looks like sh*t!

Jezston

Über Member
That looks like a deathtrap.

Painted braking surface? Weak wheels? People will buy them for their teenage kids and their teenage kids will be killed.

Anyone know who to report something like this to and get it taken off the market?

Also doesn't say if it has a flip flop hub. Might only be usable singlespeed.

potsy

Rambler
That looks like a deathtrap.

Painted braking surface? Weak wheels? People will buy them for their teenage kids and their teenage kids will be killed.

Anyone know who to report something like this to and get it taken off the market?

Also doesn't say if it has a flip flop hub. Might only be usable singlespeed.

You could have 4 for the price of that horrible Fuji you're after though :tongue:

tyred

Legendary Member
It's a fashion statement rather than bike. But a step in the right direction away from the shitty double bouncers they have been promoting.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know that the average height of young people is increasing all the time, but 14 year olds riding bikes with 60 cm frames? I'm 6' 1" tall and I only ride 58 cm.

I think the brakes and bell are a great idea for nervous newbie track riders ... :whistle: (Not!)

Top Bottom