Arun valley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcr

Veteran
Does anyone know if it's feasible to get a loaded touring bike (1 1/4" tyres) between Arundel and Houghton/Amberley on the footpath from South to North Stoke (walking, obviously, and if there's a kissing-gate or stile, it's out of the question) or via the bridleways either side of the River Arun from Offham or Burpham? And if so, which side is better? Yes, I'm that desperate to avoid the A284 if I can (from the hill perspective as much as anything). I'm not averse to using the train for that stretch if all else fails.
(This is all assuming the landslip at South Croydon is cleared in time and I can actually get to the south coast tomorrow...)

Thanks,

Matthew

TwoTired

There are 5 stiles on the path between the Stokes. Either bridleway goes with a loaded bike but you'll have to walk - the easterly one being higher has better views.

Best route would be via Burpham, Peppering High Farm, The Burgh, then North Stoke. The Riverside bridlepath between South Stoke and Houghton can be quite rough in places and does not offer the nice views you get from the other route.
Hope that helps
Bob G.

Top Bottom