as a child i was scared

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
of the bbc test card,The girl playing noughts & crosses with the puppet! & i never quite got over the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.My auntie used to have some scary paintings,so i never liked staying there.
Having two kids aged 6 & 3 im used to being woken up by them having bad dreams & seeing strange shadows in their bedrooms etc.what scared you as a kid?

mosschops2

I know what you mean about the bbc test card. Something wierd about that!!

what scared me as a kid....... I've always had a fear of plummeting, even when I was little.....
(Not heights, as much as plummeting from heights.....)

Honestly?

When I was 5 I once had a nightmare about going into my mum and dad's bedroom and seeing my dad's severed head on top of the chest of drawers. I didn't sleep properly for months after that.

Other than that at the tender age of 9 I listened to war of the worlds (jeff wayne version) for the first time. It terrified me and I had to sleep with the light on for at least 6 months.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My parents fought like cat & dog and I was terrified they would separate. Really terrified.

I'm with Carwash, although for me it was Dr Who in general - so scary I would go and do the washing up so I didn't have to watch it. When you're only seven it takes something really bad to make washing up attractive. Trouble is, now I'm 42, Dr Who doesn't scare me, so the washing up never gets done...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Can't say I was scared, exactly, but I had a pathological hatred of Baby Woodentop....;)

Kirstie said:
Honestly?
<snip>
Other than that at the tender age of 9 I listened to war of the worlds (jeff wayne version) for the first time. It terrified me and I had to sleep with the light on for at least 6 months.

I did exactly the same thing! Hearing the "Uuuuuuuuu-llllllllaaaaaaaaaa" call can still send shivers down my spine.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sadly, for me, it was the design on our living room curtains. Well, just one bit of it. It was two birds, which had white patches on their heads, and they were posed beak to beak (I think it's an Audubon drawing). The two white heads looked liked eyes in a strange face, and I remember my mum sketching the whole picture out so that I could understand it properly, after which it wasn't scary any more...

It wasn't Dr Who as such that scared me - we weren't allowed to watch it, so I only ever heard the opening few bars of the music before it was switched off. Which only made it scarier, because I didn't know what I supposed to be afraid off. To this day the opening bars of the 70's arrangement of the music makes me shiver...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
heights - then and now. as a child, the scariest thing on tv was the "robots of death" in dr who. funny, my kids love the current dr who and not even the one with the moving statues has had them behind the sofa, so to speak.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Getting the plague. Leprosy. Etc.

Nuclear destruction. Aerial bombardment. Etc.

That water would come pouring out the overflow pipe in the school bog when I was having a crap (it came straight out the front of the cistern and had a 90-degree bend in it- it really was scary).

Top Bottom