Ashes to ashes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone have a use for all of the ash generated by our coal fire? ;)

I know you can use wood ash on the garden but most of our ash is from coal or smokeless fuel. It seems...wasteful to just bung it in the bin.

Any sensible ideas?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Mix it with water and brush your teeth with it

Hmmm...you could act out you very own empire conquest, with one of you playing Sir Charles Napier.
Stand there with the remnants and proclaim "I have cinder":wacko:

Otherwise, put them in piles on your lawn and inspect each pile with litmus paper every week - your very own ashes test series in the back garden.

You lucky peeps. ;)

surfgurl

The last house we lived in was down a small, potholed, graveled lane. We used to put the ash in the potholes. It did involve creeping out in the middle of the night so the neighbours didn't think we were up to no good!

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
If we had a compost toilet then the ashes could be used for that. The cat has very specific litter (and my raised beds:rolleyes:) so that's no good. Dammit, there has to be something!

purpleR

Guru
surfgurl said:
The last house we lived in was down a small, potholed, graveled lane. We used to put the ash in the potholes. It did involve creeping out in the middle of the night so the neighbours didn't think we were up to no good!

I can see that scuffling around in the dead of night with a bucket full of ashes would look much less suspicious! :sad:

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Chuffy said:
Does anyone have a use for all of the ash generated by our coal fire? :sad:

I know you can use wood ash on the garden but most of our ash is from coal or smokeless fuel. It seems...wasteful to just bung it in the bin.

Any sensible ideas?

OOPS:blush: I thought ash was ash, I've been putting the coal ash on the garden for acouple of years now!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
djtheglove said:
OOPS:blush: I thought ash was ash, I've been putting the coal ash on the garden for acouple of years now!

We used to do this at our previuos hose where we had a coal boiler and an open fire. It was fine. Veg grew really well... as did nettles :sad:

Top Bottom