Asking for some advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I just received my new bike today, and i have been setting it up, but i think it may be too big.

I bought it from work (Long story, but they have a number of new mountain bikes, which they now want rid of), and its almost fully assembled, just wants the wheel, seat and handlebars attaching. I've set it up as per the instructions, and now i've actually come to sit on it, it seems absolutely massive! I couldn't try the bike for size at work, as they are held at a different location, and obviously not in an assembled state, but i've checked several sizing guides on the net (Such as http://www.tredz.co.uk/), it seems that it is the correct size.

The Bike is a Raleigh freeride AT 10 (its this bike: http://www.onyerbike.co.uk/Raleigh_Freeride_AT10_) witha 20" frame.
I am 5 feet 10" and have an inside leg of 32 1/2", so according to a lot of the guides i've seen this should be a good size.

Now i've put it together, the frame seems really high. I can sit on the seat, with my feet flat on the floor if the seat is at its very lowest extent, and on tiptoes if its a few inches higher. However, if i stand over the crossbar right in front of the seat, my crotch is almost sat on the bar.....this doesn't seem good!

Now, the thing that worries me, is that this bike has front suspension, and never having had a suspended bike before, i'm not sure if they have to be adjusted or not? the cross bar, isnt at all horizontal, its goes up quite a bit from the seat to where the handlebars fit into the frame, the bottom of the handlebar stem is about level/maybe a bit higher than the top of the seat, and theres probably a good 3 - 3 1/2" of the silver shaft of the suspension fork showing. Is this normal?

I'm guessing that if it is, i'll have to see if i can swap the bike for a smaller sized one. Any help would be great..... its been 15 years since i last owned a bike!

the snail

Guru
I'm not sure about mtb sizing, but lack of clearance over the top tube could be painful if you have to stop in a hurry, so you might be better with a smaller frame. The usual suggestion for seat height is to set it so that with your heels on the pedals your legs are straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. I find I usually have the seat a bit higher than this. With the saddle at the right height you should find you can get your toes to the ground.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
rule of thumb with mtb's is at least a couple of inches of space between the crossbar and your gentleman parts when you stand astride it, for obvious reasons. MTBs have more ground clearance at the bottom bracket so are going to be higher when you sit on them which normally results in longer seatposts to allow for the nadger-crossbar clearance. The sloping crossbar you describe maybe the frame geometry design to allow that clearance without having a long seatpost.

Just my t'upporth worth, I'm sure someone will come along and correct me :biggrin:

Muddy Ground

Sounds like the bike is simply too big - I'm an inch shorter than your good self and ride 17" frames. Your bike sounds massive. The size guides are just that; guides. If the bike isn't comfortable, go a size smaller, perhaps to an 18". From the specs 50mm isn't a lot of suspension at all, so that isn't an issue. Sounds like you bought mail order, so have cancellation rights. Get on the 'phone!

www.muddyground.blogspot.com

asterix

Comrade Member
I'm not sure about mtb sizing, but lack of clearance over the top tube could be painful if you have to stop in a hurry, so you might be better with a smaller frame. The usual suggestion for seat height is to set it so that with your heels on the pedals your legs are straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. I find I usually have the seat a bit higher than this. With the saddle at the right height you should find you can get your toes to the ground.

In my case that would be just a bit too high. The distance on my bikes is to have my leg just slightly bent - almost straight but not quite. If I have have the seat only slightly higher I get painful ham string problems some time after the ride.

Rough Guide To Saddle Height.
There should always be a small bend in the knee. When your pedal is at its lowest position, there should be a small bend.(roughly 25 degrees) If your leg is perfectly stretched the saddle is too high

betty swollocks

large member
Hiya.
Yes looks very much like the bike is too big.
A 17'5' or 18" frame would be better for you.

It is normal to have that amount of suspension fork showing, which will then compress slightly with your weight when on the bike....but should not bottom out.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Now i've put it together, the frame seems really high. I can sit on the seat, with my feet flat on the floor if the seat is at its very lowest extent, and on tiptoes if its a few inches higher. However, if i stand over the crossbar right in front of the seat, my crotch is almost sat on the bar.....this doesn't seem good!

A lot depends on how you intend to ride it. If you are going to ride off-road or on rough surfaces it's way too big and you should see if you can swop it for a smaller frame. If you are just going to use it as a road bike it would probably OK when you get used to it. (But then you wouldn't need forks with suspension would you?) My MTB crossbar is a fairly snug fit under my crotch but, because I use it mainly as a road bike, I find it stable and comfortable. On a run in the country it's good for say 50 miles a day and max speed of just over 35mph downhill. Around town though it's heavy, wobbly and less than ideal. On balance I'd say you'd do better with one a bit smaller for road riding and a one a lot smaller if you're going off-road.

OP
OP

Thanks for all the opinions guys! It really does seem like it's too big then. I thought it may be, but just wanted to check the suspension situation before i sent it back. I've spoken to work and they have got smaller sized ones, and one of my colleagues has got the next size down, so i'm going to check his out next week and probably swap it for that one if it feels better.

Ideally its going to be mainly for commuting to work on (Probably 85% on road, with some shortcuts down tracks), and i would have preferred a rigid one, but these were going spare at work and are cheaper AND the cost can be taken direct from wages, so i thought it was a good deal (It cost £180, which seems cheaper than most places that seem to sell them). I know very little about modern bikes if i'm honest, but have had several RALEIGH bikes in the past, so it seemed like a safe bet. :blush:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
yes bike too big, you could end up like me <----------- :ohmy:

Top Bottom