Assaulted by bus driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LOGAN 5

Waterloo Bridge southern approach to first bus stop. Driver partially overtakes and starts moving over towards the bus stop with me on the inside. I wave my arm so he can see it in his mirror to keep over. He eventually stops a meter or so out from the kerb behind another bus at the stop. I then get passed him and the other bus. He then overtakes me really closely whilst I'm in the "narrow" cycle lane and hoots his horn whilst doing so. I wave him to get over again.

At the bus stop at the north end of the Bridge he hangs out the window as I pass at which point I stop and say he cut me really closely when he overtook. Next thing he's out of the cab really quickly with his face inches from mine and rants and raves at me then shoves me.

I got into the bus to get his details but met with stoney silence. One passenger said he was a lawyer and I was "being ridiculous" and he would speak for the driver and even gave him his card. He wasn't bothered whether I'd been shoved as if this is acceptable behaviour. Then another woman passenger says I'm just a trouble maker and eventually when I get off the bus after a few minutes another woman passenger just shoves me. is it shove the cyclist day or something? I was told by another passenger i was in the the bus driver's lane which is odd because it's a bus lane with a cycle lane so I'm allowed to be there. Must be something to do with collective resentment.

Reported it immediately to TfL who are going to investigate. Hope he gets the sack. It's totally unacceptable to go shoving people. I expect some bad language from bus drivers from time to time but there's a line that should't be crossed when it comes to physically assaulting somebody.

:ohmy:

That sounds really nasty! I've noticed bus passengers tend to side with the driver as they think that will get them to their stop quicker! :biggrin:

Demand to see the CCTV footage from the bus (I assume it will have it) and if it shows the assault make sure the police get involved.

In fact if that happened to me, I'd be phoning the police at the scene!

Jake

doesn;t sound good. from which african country was this driver from? I've noticed a lot of them are such bad drivers. Hope your not on facebook becuase if someone "pokes" you today, they are for it! sad that you were ganged up on by the passengers

bryce

Sounds, from what you've written, like the bus driver attempted a botched over-take and tried to pull in on you and kill you. What did you say to the driver to enrage him?

I'm afraid many people, bus passengers or not, will side against cyclists. We're low down on the food chain in terms of types of transport, almost always dressed in a bizarre/ odd/ non-conformist way, and we're seen as outlaws because most of us (in London at least) repeatedly break the law. Can't really blame the public for stereotyping us as miscreants and responding accordingly.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Jake said:
doesn;t sound good. from which african country was this driver from? I've noticed a lot of them are such bad drivers. Hope your not on facebook becuase if someone "pokes" you today, they are for it! sad that you were ganged up on by the passengers

I can't see anything in the OP that should make you leap to that particualr conclusion.

Jake

No your right, however the more bad bus drivers i've encounted have been from that continent, a bit like the cab drivers in W1 and outsdie clubs

beancounter

A bus driver shoved you, and you hope he gets the sack.

I think you lack perspective.

bc

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
bryce said:
Can't really blame the public for stereotyping us as miscreants and responding accordingly.
Why? Isn't that tantamount to saying we should accept the kind of behaviour described by the OP (by the passengers rather than thedriver)? Buggered if I can see the logic in that.

beancounter said:
A bus driver shoved you, and you hope he gets the sack.

I think you lack perspective.

bc

I must admit, if everything happened as the OP suggested then I would have to agree that he deserves to loose his job. Not only did he drive dangerously, he assaulted a cyclist. He had to get out of his cab to do this (something that I know bus drivers are not supposed to do).

So his driving is poor and he is aggressive towards other road users. I don't want bus drivers like that on the roads, thanks!

Eat MY Dust said:
Couldn't you have poured petrol in, locked the doors and burned them all alive?

You don't pop in here often, but when you do, it's always a 'little' over the top....:evil:

Top Bottom