At last!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Beautiful looking bike TMN. Well done and I admire your patience.

What is your lowest gear on the compact?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
As long as it's not too hilly you can expand your muscles to fit - nice bike BTW

Hope you are the same size as your newt!

Nice looking bike, I thought it was going to be a Bianchi but that probably have been after 18 weeks ;-)
btw, I thought I'd ordered a 36/50 compact and took the bike up some monster hills, including Gloom Hill a max of 30% but on cleaning it I found out it was a 39/53.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If that's the new 10 speed Tiagra the mech is rated for a 11-30 cassette - and would likely work perfectly well with an 11-32. If it's the 9 speed Tiagra it's only rated up to a 27 T largest sprocket.

I'd guess that's something like 12-25 cassette on at the moment so I'd get out there and rub it up against a few hills.... if finding it too hard, whizz it back to the shop and insist they put a significantly bigger cassette on for you (it will need a extra links in chain too).

numbnuts

Legendary Member
9-week wait - so when are the mudguards coming :whistle: ......... enjoy

Nice bike, with proper coloured seat and bar tape. You can always fit a bigger rear block and a smaller front ring and a box of goodies is never to be sniffed at.

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's the 9-speed, Pete, so it's a 12-25 as you suspected. I'll take your advice and head off to the Beacon! That's one of my targets, having failed to get up it at my first and only attempt so far. I don't think the shop would put up a fight about any changes I wanted to make - they were very embarrassed. The whole saga's not a very good advertisement for Orbea!

Should you decide a visit to the shop is still necessary after sailing serenely up the Beacon....also think about whether the highest gear is high enough for you when you are blasting down the other side.

Best plan is to arm your self with the info about what is possible and what is not, before you get to the shop.
First just double check the part number on the rear mech. Somewhere it will say RD-4400 or RD-4500 or RD-4600.
The RD-4600 is the 2011 model which will handle 10 speed as well as 9 speed- and the bigger gear ranges, but the others can be "pushed" a long way out of their rated range too - as I've proved with my "hot-rodded" Dawes Galaxy.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Fantastic!! glad to see the bike at long last- I hope the test of the hill worked and that the gearing is ok.

Looking forward to seeing you out on it

Top Bottom