Auntie Helen goes to Germany again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well, I am happy to report that PippaG from YACF has agreed to go touring with me!

Here we are on Saturday practising our thousand-yard-stare to locate the best German cake shops:

p7181328.jpg

We're going on the overnight ferry on Saturday 30 August. We then spend the whole of Sunday on the train to Bamberg, taking advantage of the German Happy-Weekend-Ticket at a bargainous 37€ for the pair of us (normal cost from Venlo to Bamberg is 130€ each!!!). So we will be catching 7 trains and travelling for over 12 hours from the Hook of Holland before we reach our destination in Bamberg.

The morning after we arrive in Bamberg we are setting off to cycle along the Main river back (westwards) towards Mainz. When we reach Mainz we will go northwards on the Rhine, getting the train home when we run out of time (we have two weeks).

It should be great fun... I shall no doubt write a few reports now and again as we pootle along...

Sounds great! Me and puddleglum will be in Germany round that time too, we might bump into each other! :wacko:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Is there a dance to go with YACF? I can't help thinking there should be...
I'll be on my way back from the Bodensee then - breaking the journey in Luxemburg for a few days.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Helen,

one strong recommendation: stay two nights in Bamberg. On the morning of the day in between take the local train to Lichtenfels and pedal up the hill to see Vierzehnheiligen and then its downhil for a couple of hours back to Bamberg. This then gives you the afternoon and evening to explore the place. It's a good idea to go to the tourist info place and get their map which has a recommended walk through the town. There is masses to see there and you do need a few hours to do it justice.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Pedal up the hill, Andy? Up????

We haven't organised any accommodation or anything after Bamberg so we'll play it by ear. We may want a relaxing day in Bamberg or we may be itching to get on the route. But I'll plot that as a route on my satnav and see what happens!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Lichtenfels to Bamberg is also on the Mainradweg, so as long as you have the Bikeline guide, you shouldn't need to bother with the electronic stuff. I reckon you'll regret it if you don't give yourselves time to "do" Bamberg properly though.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yep, I have the bikeline Main Radweg guide, although of course no easy way to view it whilst cycling along. Pippa won't be adding a bar bag to her shiny new Van Nicholson Yukon either, I expect ;)

We should try to 'do' Bamberg, we'll just play it by ear. I was rather underwhelmed by it last time I visited but perhaps this time will be better!

Top Bottom