Australian passport photos needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kettle

Can anybody help?

My wife needs to get photos for an Australian passport.

The ones you get in the Post offices or supermarkets are of a different setting and are rejected.

We are outside St Andrews but could go to Dundee / Perth or Edinburgh.

Does anybody know where we can get these?
Any links or ideas out there?

My son got his in Glasgow but nearer would be better.

Thanks

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Errrrr --- Stand on your head? :sad:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
We used a normal digital camera and printed them ourselves, making sure they were EXACTLY the right size, and fitted all the criteria (no smiling, correct background ..etc)

They were accepted without question by the Oz embassy in London

lazyfatgit

US Visas use larger, squarer pictures than standard UK passports. You may be able to get a US visa one and trim it to the size you require. You can get them on Most digital kiosks in shops. Check your nearest Boots.

ACS

Legendary Member
kettle said:
Can anybody help?

My wife needs to get photos for an Australian passport.

The ones you get in the Post offices or supermarkets are of a different setting and are rejected.

We are outside St Andrews but could go to Dundee / Perth or Edinburgh.

Does anybody know where we can get these?
Any links or ideas out there?

My son got his in Glasgow but nearer would be better.

Thanks

Speak to the staff in the Post Office in St Andrews, they send passport applicants along to a local studio when the images they produce at the counter fail to make the grade. Sorry I don't know the name or address but a quick seach for photographers on South Street may be a good starting place.

If not there is a photographic studio in Cupar Clear Concept Studio - www.clearconcept.co.uk
57a Bonnygate, Cupar - 01334 655 515
may be worth a phone call.

Jessops just up from Boots on Reform Street in Dundee
do passport photo may be they can help.

OP
OP
kettle

kettle

I think it is a photograph of an Australian passport infact.

There is no such thing as an ' Australian Passport picture'.

Also 'Passport ' in the context that you use it does not need to be capitalised.

Thanks for your help.

wafflycat said:
Suggestion. If you know what the requirements are, ring a few photographers local to you, tell them *exactly* what is required and ask if they can supply.

Excellent suggestion wafflycat - ask a photographer to do exactly what you want, and need.

Good luck kettle - don't go off the boil in pursuit of your want...

bikepete

Guru
cisamcgu said:
We used a normal digital camera and printed them ourselves, making sure they were EXACTLY the right size, and fitted all the criteria (no smiling, correct background ..etc)

They were accepted without question by the Oz embassy in London

I've done this successfully for UK passports and a US visa, taking a digi pic against a clean background (a wall at home) and ensuring it exactly matches the spec.

But instead of printing myself i got them printed at a high street photo shop on one of those instant print machines, meaning it's proper photographic paper and a more 'photo' finish than most home inkjets.

You do need to size the image EXACTLY for 6" x 4" or whatever (ideally at 300dpi so it's nice and sharp) as otherwise the print kiosk will resize it for you. But on the plus side you can get six passport size pics on a single print, which IIRC has never cost me more than 50p.

Some photographic skill will help to ensure you get decent lighting, no crazy white balance/colour casts etc but so long as you have reasonably decent daylight and a modernish digital camera you shouldn't go too far wrong.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
wafflycat said:
Suggestion. If you know what the requirements are, ring a few photographers local to you, tell them *exactly* what is required and ask if they can supply.

Agreed.

For my UK one I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle so went to a local photo processing shop that had a studio out the back. Once they took the photographs (checking the whole family didn't smile, no fringes in eyes etc) they then carefully measured the printed photo again to check it met the regulations before giving me the photos (well in exchange for lots of money!!!).

OP
OP
kettle

kettle

Have followed this up and even have an e mail this morning from a locvl photographer to say he can do this. Will phone him today.

Thanks to all here.

Top Bottom