availability of bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
I ordered a nice new 2012 spec Giant Defy 2 some nine weeks ago. i was told then there would be a ten week wait as most of the major manufacturers are only bringing small numbers/batches of bikes into the country at a time...i guess you could call it a "just in time" basis rather than off the shelf. I want to support my local LBS so i agreed to this.

So by all that is holy my bike should be available next week.....somehow i don't think that will be the case as i have checked the Giant website and all the models that i looked at were still out of stock. So by my reckoning i doubt if my LBS will get their delivery as promised if Giant themselves haven't got the stock for collection now.
So i can see me not being very happy next week if the bike isn't there cos in my book ten weeks is long enough to wait as it is...i'm not blaming the LBS by the way..(and it may be that my bike does indeed turn up as promised....but knowing my luck IT WONT)......is this the general state of the bike industry these days?

If it is i reckon the bike industry is shooting itself in the foot as i can see cycling taking off in a big way what with the parking levies etc coming in this year ...any thoughts folks?

2PedalsTez

Über Member
If Giant were showing stock, wouldn't the bike then become an 'off the shelf' arrangement? What I mean by this, is that your bike could be on its way. Have you maintained contact with the shop? I would do a 'check' every couple of weeks, just as a gentle reminder to the shop, plus they may have further shipping info.

As for the limited supply.. this is always a tough balancing act as every retailer/manufacturer will want to maximize sales, but avoid overstocks, which ties up money. I imagine stocks would increase on demand.. of course that could be a vicious circle!

Hope it does arrive for you though :smile:

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
yes my patience is waining a little....ive stopped smoking........created a bike users group at work and spent far too much time on this forum:addict: ....in the last nine weeks.....and the cross trainer is starting to lose its appeal.... i need to be out there mixing it up with the traffic:biggrin:

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
If Giant were showing stock, wouldn't the bike then become an 'off the shelf' arrangement? What I mean by this, is that your bike could be on its way. Have you maintained contact with the shop? I would do a 'check' every couple of weeks, just as a gentle reminder to the shop, plus they may have further shipping info.

As for the limited supply.. this is always a tough balancing act as every retailer/manufacturer will want to maximize sales, but avoid overstocks, which ties up money. I imagine stocks would increase on demand.. of course that could be a vicious circle!

Hope it does arrive for you though :smile:

I agree the local LBS would not want to hold too much stock only to find they have to discount at the time of new models......but from what i was told this situation started last year and so not much was available as "last years model" this year. What i dont get is the turn around of ten weeks if they are in production....Giant make for themselves for gods sake...as well as others.....and this is the current model. Are the other manufacturers the same?
I see the point you are making re "off the shelf" if Giant have them, i guess my point was that they would have first dibs at any reaching the country first...then this would filter down to the LBS's.....but i may be/probably am totally wrong on my assumption.
I went into the shop a few weeks back and bought a load of bits and pieces..including road shoes and a track pump....might pop down tomorrow even if its just for a chat, dont like making a pain of myself to be honest.

doctornige

My local LBS stuffed me once on an order. A Spesh Hardrock took nearly exactly twice as long to be delivered as they said it would. I travel a lot and was out of the country, so the little buggers took delivery of it and then sold it to another customer who went in on spec asking for the same bike, knowing that they still had my order in the bag.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I agree the local LBS would not want to hold too much stock only to find they have to discount at the time of new models......but from what i was told this situation started last year and so not much was available as "last years model" this year. What i dont get is the turn around of ten weeks if they are in production....Giant make for themselves for gods sake...as well as others.....and this is the current model. Are the other manufacturers the same?
I see the point you are making re "off the shelf" if Giant have them, i guess my point was that they would have first dibs at any reaching the country first...then this would filter down to the LBS's.....but i may be/probably am totally wrong on my assumption.
I went into the shop a few weeks back and bought a load of bits and pieces..including road shoes and a track pump....might pop down tomorrow even if its just for a chat, dont like making a pain of myself to be honest.

Yes, other manufacturers are the same! Ask any Cube owner! :smile:
Nothing wrong with a gentle catch up with your lbs. If you don't want to seem pushy, I'd go in under the pretence of having a nose at something else then comment 'I guess my bike must be due soon, I can't wait to get out on it'. If they don't respond to that, trash the shop :smile:

2PedalsTez

Über Member
seems crazy to wait this day and age

I'd say more likely, what with the state of the economy an' all that.
No manufacturer wants to over commit in production. Even the big players in the motor industry are being careful.. My mate had to wait for his Vauxhall Astra! Whatever next :smile::smile:

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
^^^^^^
now that would make me MAD.......i have put a deposit down i expect it to be honored 1st.....dont think they would do that to me to be honest..they dont seem to be that kind of outfit.....either that or i'm being naive

biggs682 totally agree, this is my point

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
I'd say more likely, what with the state of the economy an' all that.
No manufacturer wants to over commit in production. Even the big players in the motor industry are being careful.. My mate had to wait for his Vauxhall Astra! Whatever next :smile::smile:

my mate works for Aston Martin.....you have to wait for them as well apparently........:biggrin:

Ah but my point is....you still have to pay top dollar for something which is not bespoke but nevertheless still not available:crazy:

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Yes, other manufacturers are the same! Ask any Cube owner! :smile:
Nothing wrong with a gentle catch up with your lbs. If you don't want to seem pushy, I'd go in under the pretence of having a nose at something else then comment 'I guess my bike must be due soon, I can't wait to get out on it'. If they don't respond to that, trash the shop :smile:

yes i might do this.....now cube was my second choice........and apparently they aren't readliy available:banghead:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Welcome to the world of Import/Export. Your bike is probably in a container on one of those massive ships bringing thousands of tons of goods from the Far East, or sitting on the docks at Felixstowe awaiting Customs clearance.

Bluenite

yes i might do this.....now cube was my second choice........and apparently they aren't readliy available:banghead:

There are lots of Cubes out there (i've seen them:ohmy:). Surprised you haven't got your bike yet.

If it was me i would have taken hostages and made my demands to the police......and Greggs.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Welcome to the world of Import/Export. Your bike is probably in a container on one of those massive ships bringing thousands of tons of goods from the Far East, or sitting on the docks at Felixstowe awaiting Customs clearance.

The joys of paying top dollar for something made cheaply abroad. You'd be better off paying top for something made here. Although I suppose the choice is limited .

Top Bottom